why do i keep going freshwater fishing when there are monster stripers being pulled off the beach. something keeps drawing me back to hit the ponds. Question

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:08 pm

That's a great question. I too find myself drawn to the freshwater about 4x more often than the salt -- but those big saltwater fish are certainly tantalizing.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:32 am

I'm 26, and I have been fishing for about 15 years and I never had an interest in salt water fishing until about 5 years ago. I grew up watching Bill Dance, Jimmy Houston, Roland Martin, Hank ParkerN In-Fisherman and all these shows were mostly freshwater fishing. Did I mentioned I grew up in Nahant, which is a pennisula right off of Lynn. We have a place in town called "Bass Point", legit name too.

I like both now, but without a boat, I feel I have better odds freshwater fishing.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:03 am

i agree its because in fresh water you are more likely to catch something than salt and in are area fresh water is more of a sport because of the fish in our area

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:08 am

It's a stress reliever for me. Relaxing in the middle of a pond. Listening to the birds. Watching deer run through the woods. And most importantly catching bass.
Massachusetts south shore has done of the best unfished bass ponds in the country
No serious bad man is going to fish a pond in the middle of the woods. That's where we car toppers come in and SLAM the bass l
I'm a crazy SOB about fishing ill drag a canoe/kayak through the woods to see if the bass are in the pond

The beat way to find out what fish are in a pond isn't by sitting on the on the Internet and get. Out there and fish!!!!!!!!!

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:13 pm

The thing with saltwater is that the fish are either there or there not. The ocean is such a huge place that they have so many places to be. Freshwater you know the fish are in the pond its just the matter of getting them to bite or not. I love saltwater fishing its all my dad does. and nothing like having a tuna hooked up or boating a 40+ inch stiper. But freshwater had definitely been my place of focus the past two years. I feel more accomplished catching a limit in freshwater than to pull in 10 schoolies because when stripers are in a feeding frenzy they will hit a variety of different baits. But largemouths wont hit every lure you throw so you have to break it down more so on freshwater.

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:46 pm

I did far more saltwater fishing this year than I did fresh.I got my personal best a 40 inch striper.I started fishing salt last year and really liked it I did my homework over the winter and It paided off big time.

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:28 am

I did far more saltwater fishing this year than I did fresh.I got my personal best a 40 inch striper.I started fishing salt last year and really liked it I did my homework over the winter and It paided off big time.

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:38 am

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:38 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links