Just doing a little research on new ponds to try next season. I see on the MA Wildlife Pond Map site that Attitash is pretty big and that it's very developed and gets heavy boat traffic. After reading that it's one of the best pike fishing in MA, I really want to spend some time year next spring before the summer boaters get out of control. Is this too big to fish with a car topper and electric motor?

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:43 am

I will be your Maff tour guide for today. On your left is Lake Attitash. A very weedy and cartopper friendly pond. I missed this years tourney but did the one last year and had no problems. Lots of grass and pads. I didn't do so good but there were some nice fish caught. I'm pretty sure smallmouth and large mouth

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks Shawn. I watched one of your You Tube's recently and it's very entertaining. Sort of like a Mad Fisherman in the making. Maybe you can give Charlie a run for his money.

How is Attitash as far as boat traffic? Lots of big boats running by?

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:02 am

big place lots of variety - a river and slop, mats, weed beds, sand bars, docks, off shore humps, docks. great place. some smallies in there too. yes, tons of recreational traffic and a frequent tournament spot.

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:59 am

jwo1124

Thanks Shawn. I watched one of your You Tube's recently and it's very entertaining. Sort of like a Mad Fisherman in the making. Maybe you can give Charlie a run for his money.

How is Attitash as far as boat traffic? Lots of big boats running by?

Thanks, I don't remember it being totally crazy but that was a big boat tourney so there were probably 15 of us from maff and I think only 2 were cartoppers. There were some skiers around but I doubt you'd have much trouble in the spring or fall or really crappy days in the summer

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Thanks Sam. I'll keep all that in mind and try to keep the fishing there Spring and Fall when I won't run into any speed boats and water skiers. And I'll keep the tournaments in mind if I'm heading out on the weekends. I'm looking forward to next year, new spots, and hopefully a little nicer boat if I can afford it. At least something with a sonar and an electric. Cabin Fever is already starting to settle in.

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Attitash has started to return towards the lake it was 20 years ago. This season was the best in many years. My son and I had a 19 pound bag there 3 weeks ago, and weighed 14 pounds 2 weeks ago, with only 4 fish. There are plenty of weeds, humps, rocks, docks, main lake, back river, etc. The boat traffic can be hectic but it slows down considerably after Labor Day. The past few weekends we just about had the place to ourselves. The smallies are few and far between, but seem to be making a comeback themselves. Don't see many Pike, but they do break us off now and then!

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:09 pm

it's a decently big pond, make sure your battery is fully charged. If you show up and there are a bunch of bass boats there for a tourney, go home....... wouldn't want to fish in the summer when all the recreational boats are around.

Kinda like Chebacco.....some a-hole in a 25ft cabin cruiser almost flipped me. If he didn't have kids on the boat, we would have had issues....

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 am

tallimeca

it's a decently big pond, make sure your battery is fully charged. If you show up and there are a bunch of bass boats there for a tourney, go home....... wouldn't want to fish in the summer when all the recreational boats are around.

Kinda like Chebacco.....some a-hole in a 25ft cabin cruiser almost flipped me. If he didn't have kids on the boat, we would have had issues....

I was at Chebacco a couple of weeks ago with my cartopper. It was really windy and kind of cool. It was me and one other bass boat. Then that guy showed up. it wasn't good enough for him to stay at one part of the lake. He was getting kind of close to me too. Same deal, he had a bunch of kids and they were tubing. No respect at all

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 am

I'm glad you brough up Chebacco because that was a place I wanted to try next year, but I did read that boat traffic gets bad there due to the year round homes. Reading posts like the two of you where big boats just have no respect for others makes me think twice about heading out to these bigger waters and sticking to the small ponds, and the electric only ponds. It's a shame that a few A-Holes ruin everyone elses time.

But honestly, there are some places I've been to like Ponakpog and Spy Pond that are electric only, and are both good fisheries, even though I got skunked this year at Spy....I'll Be Back Cool

Maybe I'll wait until I get a bigger boat before I venture out onto the bigger bodies of water that get more boat traffic. I like the solitude when I'm out anyway.

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:21 pm

There are plenty of small ponds to keep you busy

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Just go left off the ramp and head up towards the river there is plenty of calm water and enough grass and river to keep you busy all day

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:49 pm

My friend Bob and I have been fishing Lake Atti for the last 6 weeks and were surprised at the size of the bass we were catching. We werent catching large quantities as much as quality (most in the mid 3 pound range) Its not a congested lake and there are a number of 'hot spots' where the bass are hiding (though I am not revealing any secrets). Its a great lake!

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:46 pm

do you know the name of street that the boat ramp is on..

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:52 pm

lake Attitash is in Merrimack. I think it is Lake Attitash Road. Its a decent boat ramp with plenty of parking. Good Luck!

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:57 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links