I will be doing a NEKF kayaking event at Putnamville Res on Saturday; weather does not look promising. Not many trip postings on this site. I did find the topo map http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pdf/dfwputna.pdf . Wondering if anyone has experience here. If not, maybe you can take a quick look at the topo and share some ideas on how you might attack this water. Seems to be mostly 20-25 feet deep with pretty quick drop-offs from shore. Its a reservoir so I'm thinking water clarity will be pretty good. Will also have the fishfinder on the yak. Thinking crankbaits and spinnerbaits. Also bringing a dropshot rig.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:45 am

Hit up Samf. He was just telling me about that place recently. The cookout I think.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:50 am

This was the first place I fished this year, It was the first time fishing here, and the place is decent sized. I walked the shore and fished mainly any place that would allow me to cast. It was really windy that day, steady strong wind with huge gusts. Almost left a few times but I'm lucky I didn't because I caught my first ever Smallie and a few decent picks. This time of year I'm sure the wind will be a factor.

I had luck with a heavier suspending jerkbait and caught the pickerel on a spinnerbait worked shallow. I heard that by the long wall by the enterance(can't miss it) is a good place to fish a crank for the smallies. So I'd suggest suspending baits either cranks or jerkbaits and start there. If it's not too windy, and its a high pressure day, try a football jig because the places looks like its really rocky.

Try all the standard fall patterns until you find something that works for you. But I'd suggest working that wall on the eastern side near the access point. It's a tough fish on foot from shore because you're mostly confined to the southeast quadrant since you'd have to walk through people back yard to move along further going counter clock wise from access point, and there is a dam with an out flow which a big fence going clockwise.

It's funny you are having a kayak tournament here, because I called Danver's Police with a question about Public Right away around the resevoir because of what I was saying about having to walk through peoples backyards to get around the pond, and they told me technically it's a no fish zone, but they don't really bother people who fish there as long as they are respectful. I'd not sure if he was just being stern because I was asking about walking through people's yards or not...

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:14 am

shawn's right. i went once but can give you a good breakdown.

i am a little surprised you're fishing a tournament there. not because of no fishing rules but because there isn't a designated place to park which is a real pain. you have to park on the street on the side. it's legal but there are only about 1-3 places i could find. you may want to bring that up to make sure it's all been looked into to be honest with you.

anyways, in terms of fish, the fishing was great if you're looking for numbers. smallies everywhere. tons of 1 pounders. it almost got annoying but it was fun. the place doesn't have a lot of structure off the shore but it does drop off quickly and gets to be 30' in some places. water was low so shoreline brush etc. wasn't doing it.

i caught about 50 bass when i went. a lot of 1 lb. smallies, a few over 2 lbs and some token largemouth. if i were fishing competitively i would target the largemouth early as they were all over 2 lbs. most came in the sparse weedbeds i randomly found.

the wall is a popular spot but they weren't on it when i went. doesn't mean they won't be but i fished secondary drop offs, the "sunken island" and found isolated weed beds. there are spots on the wall that drop straight down. there are also 2 points with and around deep water. the bigger fish came off of these areas. there's one point that's very big and extends way out. we caught both types of bass off of it and there's scattered vegetation around. the wind picked up and they were really loaded on the points. actually, i caught a good 3 lb. largemouth on a brush jig.

the fish were stacked on the offshore stuff. i would recommend any type of finder. look for a thermocline. i didn't see a single fish below it all day. smallies tend to all hang out in the same depth zone so if you find them at 10' in one place, they will probably be at 10' elsewhere although that depth will change a lot.

lures / methods: crankbaits, dropshot, ballhead jigs with small trailers like grubs. crashing cranks through cover and grinding up the bottom worked early then the small bottom dragging and hopping baits KILLED them. it was by far the most effective method. i found that they wanted something moving the day i went.

i couldn't really find a good place for a jig as the rocky bottom didn't extend far and then the weeds got in the way. it's a different time of year though. the vegetation's probably dead or dying so your best bet would be the rock wall if they're up there tight or on the drop off. if not, try the points and other drop offs. there's this big shallow flat with a muddy or soft bottom. it's to the northwest and you'll see a bunch of big houses and backyards. there was nothing over there when i went. just a big dead zone. if i were to go now i would probably go crank, small ballhead jigs, spinnerbait, and jerkbait (if they're suspending which is very possible). if a finder isn't a possibility i would stick to the rock wall, sunken island, and 2 major points. there's no way there won't be fish in these spots.

last notes: lots of yellow perch and i saw them schooled up following bait balls later in the day. baitfish was the primary forage when i went. yellow perch and bluegill.

if there is more than 5 mph of wind, bring the anchor!! the place is wide open and elevated so the wind there is insane. i went and it was 10 mph max but out there i would say it was more like 20 mph. i had to pull over for awhile b/c the white caps were absolutely insane and i got tired of bilging.

let me know if you need any more information. i just sort of typed it out as i thought about it or remembered it. i could tell you exactly what i was throwing etc.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:55 am

Sam that's incredibly helpful. Thank you.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:43 pm

good stuff Sam. I have not fished there yet but its on my list.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:20 pm

no problem. fun place. i don't think there are a lot of giants, but if you want to catch a million 1 lb. smallies, head on over there. real hassle getting a boat on the water though. a kayak and some gear won't be bad but hauling the boat and other stuff up this long path is brutal unless you have a dolly.

oh yeah, the weather will be similar in terms of cloud cover and rain if you go saturday and it holds up. the water is pretty clear but not like the quabbin. more like wallum if you've ever been there (don't go). definitely clean though.

good luck, you'll definitely have fun catching a ton of them if nothing else. never caught a pickerel when i went at least!

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:23 pm

TAKE A LOOK AT THE ARTICLE IN BASS BETS 1, IF YOU HAVE IT. WAS WRITTEN MANY YEARS AGO, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Sam, I always find your write-ups so dull and lacking of description and technique.

Kidding, I kid you!!!!! As always dude, your description is awesome and educational! You definitely pay attention to detail and have a great knack for recalling events and places. This is on my list of "places to fish" for sure sometime! Good (I'd of said outstanding, but Karl makes fun of me every time I do) contribution man!

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:48 pm

haha thanks roger. not a lot of description and technique from me on here this year but i try when i have time. i would check it out for sure.

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:16 am

Stopped by to fish from shore after my local trout pond didn't produce any action. Right when I got to the end of the enterance trail I was stunned. The reservior is about 10' low. I haven't been here since the spring, but there were places I was standing today on the shoreline where I would have been underwater back in April.

I talked to a local guy walking his dog, and I asked him when they drained it, and he said he thinks the drop is from recent usage from Danvers and Middleton. For those that don't know, even though Putnamville is in Danvers, it's used by Salem and Beverely. I guess recent pipe complications have caused Danvers and Middleton to start using the Res. which has put a huge dent in the water.

I was shocked to see how low it was, but it's interesting to see how was sort of cover and structere there is below the surface. I saw quite a few spawning beds left over from spring on one flat.

Just wanted to give the guys fishing the Yak Tourney a heads up. If anyone is local, I'd give the place a scout before the tournament. Lots of birds there, gulls, swans, a flock of about 50 comorants(sp?, Black diving birds)

No fishing action. Tried a spinnerbait and a jerkbait around the shore casting out over the deepest water I could reach, but all the dying weeds reach the surface in most places so fishing was tough.

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:08 pm

They draw the reservoir down every year in the fall. Like you said, it's a good time to walk around and check out all the visible cover. There should be small stumps visible in the northwest section by now.

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:12 pm

I figured they did, because they do this in Lynn, and I drive by their reservior frequently to get coffee with my girlfriend, and by the end of Fall it's 10-15' low. Anyway, still wanted to give the guys a heads up who plan on fishing their this month. I didn't get over the the NorthWestern Portion, stayed around the south/eastern shoreline. It's so low though, I could have walked the entire thing around the bank.

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:56 pm

So Putnamville was indeed very low and you can walk the shore all the way around. The submerged islands are no longer submerged. On Saturday about 10 of us kayakers descended upon Putnamville for our tourney. Winner caught 3 fish, all lmb, none very large. Many were skunked. I caught a single pickerel. But we followed that with a nice little cookout so all was good. I would think twice about returning there given its distance from my house.

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:05 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links