I'm looking for a fishing reel to pair with a 5' ultra light ugly stick spinning rod I have.

I've been looking at spinning and underspin reels from $20 to $70.00. At this point my brain is spinning. I know the features that make a good spinning reel, but I don't know when things start becoming overkill.

Some of the reels I'm looking at are:
Pfluegler Trion GX (4520GX)
Pfluegler Trion Underspin (4410U)
Pfluegler Cetina Underspin (PFLCETINA SC4U)
Abu Garcia Cardinal 100i (C100Ui)
Shakespeare Aglility (AGL825)
Shimano Sienna FD (SN500FD)
Diawa Crossfire (CF500-3Bi)

I'm looking for spend $50.00 or less on a spinning or under spin reel that can hold 50 to 120 yards of 4lb mono. Preferably, it should have 3 to 5 bearings, and something to help reduce line twist. I'm going to be using it a least once a week, to target panfish. Also, I may give this to my son when he outgrows his Spiderman rod and reel, so I was thinking about getting an underspin.

Are underspins even worth a damn?

Doe's anyone have any experience with these reels, or other ultralight spinning reels? I'd like to hear the thoughts of my fellow MAFFers.

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 am

I use an okuma avenger 15a on my ultralight (5'6 micro-graphite) and absolutely love the reel, I use this setup for almost half of the fishing i do. I think it set me back about $30 at walmart.

EDIT: See reel in picture
<----

Last edited by mattn1387 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 am

1- I wore out a trion in one year, got all bumpy, didn't like the handle

2- okumas are nice and smooth but their spools tend to be narrower than others and the stem feels large between your fingers if you hold it that way.

3- sienna has always been my favorite cheap reel, I got about 5 of them.
however I don't like the new spool lip design. they say it casts farther but I don't think so , using braid anyway.

4 - probably just added confusion but no reel is perfect, depends on how picky you are.

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:42 pm

i use a field & stream ravenna 10 on my ugly stik UL and i love it, $29 at dick's and ive used it since the beginning of the summer and its been great

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 pm

I recommend the shimano IX series of spinning reels.

I have 2 (A 2000 & a 4000) that I have had for about a year and they are holding up great.

I just purchased another one (2000) to outfit at noodle rod that I got earlier in the season for trout and cold water bass fishing.

Here is the link: http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-ix-r-reels.html

I have removed the bail trigger on mine but you may elect to keep yours.

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:54 pm

I just ordered an Okuma Avenger 15a new in clam-pack off eBay for $15.00 + 4.95. I believe Okuma has discontinued the A series Avengers reels because they've released the B series, so I think that's why there was such a deep discount.

I also ordered some 4lb EagleClaw bioline to go on it.

I'll let y'all know how it works out.

As always y'all are a wealth of information, thank you.

Patrick

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:45 pm

I received the Okuma Avenger 15a on Saturday, spooled it up with some 4lb bioline, and had a great time catching bluegill at the local pond.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Posted Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:48 pm

mattn1387

I use an okuma avenger 15a on my ultralight (5'6 micro-graphite) and absolutely love the reel, I use this setup for almost half of the fishing i do. I think it set me back about $30 at walmart.

EDIT: See reel in picture
<----

What line are you using?

Posted Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:35 pm

With that setup I have 10lb power pro for the main spool and 6lb flouro on the backup.

Posted Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:46 pm

mattn1387

With that setup I have 10lb power pro for the main spool and 6lb flouro on the backup.

thanks.

I put 4lb bioline on the graphite spool. I was thinking about putting 10lb braid on the aluminum one.

Posted Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:58 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links