I got an ultra light rod over the winter and I haven't spooled it up with line yet. My problem is that I want to use light line, which is the point of an ultra light set up, but a lot of the spots I fish from shore have heavy tree cover and I tend to catch them. I don't really want to break off a ton of lures, but if I put a braided line on, I might end up snapping the rod. I'm kinda leaning towards a lower test braid, like a 10# or 15#... any thoughts?

Posted Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:35 pm

for me personally, I'd go with 6# fluorocarbon with an ultralight set-up.

Posted Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Ultra light fishing is one of my favorite styles here in New england.
I have 2 st criox ul rods, 6'6" for shore and lake fishing and a 4'6" for river and stream fishing. I do most of my fishing from a canoe.

For reels i have a couple of stratic 1000's. These reels each come with 2 spools. For each set up i use power pro 10# with p-line floroclear 5 yard leader. On the other spool i use the p-line floroclear straight up. 4# for the 6'6" ROD AND 2# FOR THE 4'6" rod.

On a few occsions I have lost a lure or 2, but Ive come to the conclusion the only way to avoid that is to stay home and watch the fishing channel.

My 2 cents,
Danny

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:07 am

I think if you're putting 10# or 15# on an ultralight rod, it sort of defeats the purpose of the light gear to begin with. My suggestion is just to spool up with 4-6# mono and don't use it around trees if you have a history of catching them. Of course, its your gear, so you make the call, but that's my suggestion.

Posted Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:09 pm

thanks for the input, I ended up getting some 6 lb Fire Line, and spooled that up. It worked pretty well, and my first experience with that rod was a lot of fun. I watched a big bass (probably 3-3 1/2 lbs) inhale a Mepps spinner and had a nice little battle with him. I'll be getting some good use out of this set up this year!

good point about the trees, from both of you, haha!

Posted Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

volume4130

thanks for the input, I ended up getting some 6 lb Fire Line, and spooled that up. It worked pretty well, and my first experience with that rod was a lot of fun. I watched a big bass (probably 3-3 1/2 lbs) inhale a Mepps spinner and had a nice little battle with him. I'll be getting some good use out of this set up this year!

good point about the trees, from both of you, haha!

I know this post is a couple years old, but I'm setting up a similar setup, and was wondering if you use a leader with the braid?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:06 pm

I use 5-1/2 light (not ultralight} rods with 10 lb braid in my canoe. they will bend in half catching 3- 5 lb bass. I can't imagine using anything lighter for shore fishing unless you know a lake with no weeds, wood or shppping carts. I don't use leaders either.

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:27 pm

What is the point of using ultra light around cover Question It defeats the purpose. It's a good trout/panfish set up for open water, unless you are looking to break some sort of record. Laughing

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:16 pm

i love ultralight setups. its my favorite.i have a 6"5' ultralight uglstik and ive cought 10+ pound carp on it..its extremely fun and i have yet to break a rod

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:22 pm

I fish Ultralite 90% of the time either wading or more often now from the Yak. I take two ULs in the Yak ... 4lb and 6lb ... the 4lb for panfishing ... Bluegills, Calicos, Perch ... and Bass ... the 6lb for targeting Bass. Senkos, topwaters, etc. Tonight I fished two hours from the Yak and took 4 Bass ... including a 20 inch on a wake bait and a 17 1-2 inch on a frog ... both on the Ultralite. Perhaps surprisingly I do not lose many Bass (one this summer) to broken line (it wrapped around the reel!) ... a different story re: pickerel (!) ... mostly if-when I lose a Bass, they have buried in pads. I have nothing against a heavier rod and braid ... just not for me. I enjoy the battle and the presentation ... more so than winching them out.
My ULs are 5 ft and 5ft 6 inch ...
They were a blast for 2 wks in Maine on Smallies ! Largest 19 inch ... what a hoot !
Yes, I do own another rod ... a medium action 6 ft 6 in ... 8 lb line ... for ... the heavy stuff (!) ...

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:26 pm

the light rods are for accurate casts with small weightless plastics and the fun of the fight, the 10lb braid is to get them out of the weeds and pads. combines the best use of both and its only 10lb braid.

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:12 am

Yup ... braid can be useful ... e.g. no (!) stretch, so quick detection and hook-set ... but ... it also has its downsides. Doubt you'd tie braid directly to the lure ... so, a leader of some sort ... and, knots re: braid can be iffy (at best). I almost never use a swivel/quick-clip ... so, am re-tieing frequently. That would chew up a leader length pretty quickly, and then I'm back to the braid.
plus, would braid tend to float ... or sink ?! That can be an issue in pads & weeds ...
Just sayin ...

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 am

yup braid floats, helps to see fish taking worm if you don't feel bite. I tie hooks directly to the braid, fish don't care in most of the dirty water we fish in. just got to check line often especially after pickerel. fraying is downside. I rarely use lures but keep one rod with a clip for that. jigs and such. use a palomar knot with braid, I never had one loosen up or break.

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:27 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links