Electrical, mechanical or boating experts - I have a few battery questions since I don't know a lot about this stuff.

1. I just got a new battery and it's identical to my old one except the terminal bolt doesn't screw all the way down. I usually just screw the bolt in down through a washer and the circular lug style cable connectors. With this new one, what's the best way to connect the motor?

Should I do the same sort of thing but with more washers and a split lock washer? So it would go batter cable, 2 or 3 washers, split lock washer, bolt? Or just buy some shorter bolts?

Here's a picture of my current setup and the new battery.

2. Also, I have this charger which has maintenance mode. I'm safe to keep the battery charger on and connected once it's at full charge correct as it will keep the battery fully charge but will not overcharge it correct?

http://store.minnkotamotors.com/products/418680/MK_105P_Portable_%281_bank%29

Thanks for the help guys. Let's see if anyone beats Stratos. I know he'll know (thankfully).

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Shorter bolts for sure, 2nd only charge them when you need to, everyone will give you different answers on this but you CAN over charge a battery UNLESS your charger stops after they are complete charged.

PS...
Make sure you unplug your trolling motor at the bow EVERY TIME you charge your batteries!

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:57 pm

Not sure if you can replace the bolt coming out of the battery, never heard of anyone doing that. I never seen a battery post like that, seems kind of a strange post to me. I would suggest stacking a bunch of washers on top of the connection to make it tight. As with the battery charger you will be fine leaving it on maintance mode as it has built i shut off so it wont overcharge the batteries.

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks guys. I can easily replace that bolt. It just screws in....just happens to only screw in half way on the new battery. Pretty strange. I did plan on stacking like 5 washers on each side but wanted to make sure that didn't risk losing charge or connection. It's also a pain in the ass. Thanks for confirming the maintenance mode thing as well. That's why I got it but wanted to be 100%.

Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Sam, if you dont have a ton of connections coming off of your battery I would use the shorter bolt. My cranking battery has 5-6 different pumps, fishfinders, radio ect. running off of it so I use a longer bolt, I use a short bolt for my trolling batteries because I only have the + and - and battery charger connections running off of it. Also never use a wing nut, they can come undone. Hope this has helped.

Posted Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:32 am

thanks 9.4. it's just the battery for my cartopper. i only connect and run the trolling motor off of it. i messed around some more and should be ok even with that annoying bolt. i used 2 regular washers and a split lock washer on each terminal and it holds the connection tight.

Posted Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:59 am

The first bolt is more than likely cross threaded or threads damaged atleast(reason why you cant screw nut all the way down) Agree with others,if you can replace bolt,use shorter rather than longer unless you have multiple battery connections..I would never use multiple washers at your connection

Tip:
If your battery connections(+ & -) from your trolling motor has a complete circle(round) washer connection you can either cut a slot in it or replace with a U shape connector so you dont have to unscrew your battery post nut on/off everytime..you can just loosen/tighten and slide in and out

Hope things are well

Mike
CFBC Cool

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:28 am

You can keep your charger connected even at full charge. The charger will only provide as much current as the battery is willing to take (up to 5 Amps.) If the battery is fully charged, it won't accept any more current.

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:13 am

thanks guys. thanks MIKE ha! i should be ok with a shorter bolt. i'm going to get one this weekend but have multiple washers temporarily. i have the minn kota power station thing and all connections are locked solid.

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:25 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links