BOSTON — Boaters are being warned not to touch water from the Charles River near Newton, Waltham and Weston, Mass. following the discovery of an algae bloom in the river.

The Charles River Watershed Association says it’s the first time a bloom has been noticed in the area since it began monitoring algae in the river.

Public health officials say people should not touch the algae or fish or swim in the water. Pets should be kept away from the water as well.

Contact with the naturally occurring algae can cause rashes, nose, eye and throat irritation, stomachache and other gastrointestinal problems.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 am

I fished Waltham on Wednesday and didn't like the look of the water. I brought some hand sanitizer with me and decided to use them, glad I did. I thought the water level was great and the river was flowing pretty good but the color was as green as can be and the water temp was registering 80-83. There was a bunch of dogs in the water right before you get to the kayak/canoe rentals. fishing wasn't to bad had more get off my hook then I landed.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Stopped by to look at the Charles across from Dicks in Dedham. From fifteen feet away it stank. Up close it's solid green and murky with bloom showing up all over. The level is down a good 18" or more.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm

I was fishing the Dedham side and the smell and bloom was everywhere. Dead fish and bird along shore. STAY OUT OF THE CHARLES RIVER

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Happened to be up in Millis. The upper Charles is nearly 2 ft down and solid with dead lilies, green bloom and of course it reeks. The water surface is oily looking and barely moving.

No Charles fishing for me this year.

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:02 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links