First off congrats to everyone who fished the tourney this past weekend. Not only were there nice bags and some big lunkers caught, but from reading the posts it seemed like everyone had a blast. I have wanted to give Upper Mystic a shot this season after reading some good things about it, but these tourney results prove that there are some big bass in there, and have inspired me to head out on my next day off to see if I can land a 4 or 5 pounder; by Hook or Hand( I Kid)

Anyway, I was just looking at the Bathymetric map of Upper Mystic on the Mass Wildlife site, and i noticed that it's almost like two lakes in one. The northern half seems to be very shallow; <10' Max where the Aberjona River flows in. The southern half seems to be very deep with steep drop offs and the shoreline seems to drop into 10-20'+ very quickly at some points, and at some points looks like the shoreline drops quickly into depths of 30-40'.

As far as fishing patterns, was anyone forced to try to fish the deeper water? Or were most fish caught in the shallower areas? I'll be fishing out on a canoe with no electroics, so it would be almost impossible to fish any sort of deeper water pattern. I could always try fan casting deep cranks, a carolina rigs or jig a spoon, but with no electronics to reference the bottom structure or sonar to locate fish, I'm weary to attempt this kind of blind fishing. With most new bodies of water I fish, I usually just beat the shoreline since I have no electronics to see any underwater structure. This pattern usualy works and at least boats a few bass if not a limit.

So, if anyone would care to share some friendly advice about this body of water I'd really appreciate it. I'd like to go into the day with some sort of idea on what pattern I'll be using, and also if I'll have to go pick up some new lures. Thanks in advance for any information.

-Joe

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 am

If you're looking at the lake from the ramp, go to the left past the Medford boat club. There are a lot of pads over that side that are in water from like 8 ft to the shore line. I have caught 4 pounders over there and saw 2 five pounder caught there Sunday. One was on the outside edge of the pads and the other was in there. Good luck

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks. Where is the ramp located in relation to the lake? I think I read its on the southern end. Is the anywhere else to launch a car top? I'd like to launch somewhere near the northern part of the lake because I plan on starting off there. Also, how is the parking situation. I read there are 3 different access points, is there parking at each?

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:56 am

ramps to the s. east side between the 2 main lakes. right where they split and meet. my advice is to stick to the main lake. it will be obvious why when you get there. parking is fine at the main launch. tons of parking. i started off fishing 10' flats with isolated weed beds. caught a 5 pounder on a crankbait. i think the winners stayed around the 10-15' range. wide variety of stuff to fish. the pads are good too. lots of big ones pulled from them throughout the lake.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:36 pm

We caught our biggest fish that day in 9-10' deep water.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links