Hello:

I just wanted to let people know I have started a new group called the City Sirens on meetup.com for female anglers in the Boston areas in their 20's and 30's. If you are looking to fish and enjoy some girl time this group is for you.

http://www.meetup.com/City-Sirens-Womens-Fishing-Group-20s-30s/

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 am

awesome katie, I just checked out your site. nice work i'm glad to see this. I have a few friends that will most likely join. if you ever need anything please feel free to reach out to me.

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:30 am

Thank you for your kind words. Please tell people about it. It is going to be a lot of fun. Smile

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Will deffo pass this info along to any female carpers I meet! Of which there are a few. Will also toss a link out with our Blackstone Carp stuff if you don't mind. If ya get a good group going and/or ever wanna learn a thing or two about carp fishing feel free to hit me up as well...or even fly fishing as I am getting better at that as well, though still a novice to be fair lol.

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Oh thank you, again for willing to put this information out there. Please pass it along to anyone who you know is interested. I personally would love to know more fly fishing, and I don't think many of the girls have experience with it, so I will def. keep your contact info and see how many girls we get and if anyone is interested learning to fly fish with me.

Thank you. Very Happy

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi Katgurl,

I too enjoy fly fishing and I personally find it to be a very productive angling method. my suggestion to you is that you do not spend more then $150 on your first fly rod and reel combo. I would also go suggest starting out with a 9 foot rod with six weight, weight forward floating line (WF6F).

One of the greatest barriers to success in fly casting, IMO, is having a 9 foot tapered leader. When you have a leader this long, that means that you have to have about 18 feet of line coiled up at your feet before you make your first back cast. unless you are in the middle of the river or pond that just becomes an exercise in frustration and possible self hooking.

So what I recommend is that you shorten the leader to about 24 inches. That means in most cases completely removing the provided leader. (if they do provide the leader, sometime they don't)

Attaching the leader, also called the tippet, to the line typically involves learning how to tie a secure nail knot. There is an alternative to this which involves using the no knot eyelet. I just started using the no knot eyelet this year and it is very secure way to put leaders on fly line. The most recent bass I landed this year was taken while I was fly fishing using the no knot eyelet and about 24 inches of level 10 lb mono as a leader. I prefer 10 lb mono because it is easier for me to tie secure knots with it. You can use a lighter weight mono or ever tapered leaders for fly fishing but tying secure knots with small gauge line can be challenging.

I highly recommend that you visit your local library and read several books on fly fishing. This will familiarize you with the mechanics of fly casting and most of the time they will also have several chapters devoted to "reading" the water. Most of fly fishing aficionados prefer to fish rivers. I prefer to fly fish "still water" lakes and ponds. I could wet wade in the charles river but the segments of the charles river near by to me is just too dirty to do that. Also the banks of the charles are very over grown so making standard cast with a fly rod are difficult if not impossible to do. I have successfully made roll casts in the charles but that requires that there are not a lot of overhanging trees to hang you up.

Also, fly fishing is lends itself more to a solitary fishing style then to a cooperative fishing style, simply because you need a lot of space to make a cast with a fly rod and line.

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:12 am

katgurl

Hello:

I just wanted to let people know I have started a new group called the City Sirens on meetup.com for female anglers in the Boston areas in their 20's and 30's. If you are looking to fish and enjoy some girl time this group is for you.

http://www.meetup.com/City-Sirens-Womens-Fishing-Group-20s-30s/

pretty cool stuff Katgurl, Ill keep my eyes peeled for potential candidates, just like Johnny said if there is anything we can do give us a shout!!

Posted Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links