Today, UPS delivered my new Quantum Nitrous baitcaster, I ordered from Dick's last week on clearance.

Now I need to put some line on it.

I've recently made the switch to florocarbon. I've used 10lb Berkley Vanish and 8lb Seaguar InvisX. I like the the Seaguar line much better. It's much softer and more cast-able. I know that part of this is because it's lighter, but I think that's far from the whole picture.

I'm torn between putting some of the 10lb Berkley Vanish on the new combo, because I have it; putting 10lb Moss Green Berley Trilene XT on it, because I have it also; or going out and getting some 12lb Seguar InvisX and putting that on it.

I originally was going to put 50lb PowerPro on it, but when that came in the mail, it looked quite heavy, and I don't know if I'm ready to make the transition to braid.

I'm probably over-thinking this, as I usually do. The line I put on now is not a long term commitment.

I just want to start out my baitcaster learning on the right foot (given the rod and reel I'm using).

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Patrick

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Pat I would start with the Trilene 10# first, before you go to the more expensive, You might have to get used to the reel first. Then I think I would go walk a shoreline for a while with a spinnerbait on and cast the hell out of it, bring it home and lube it. That way if there is any problems, it's not on tournament day. I think youre gonna love that reel

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 pm

I think a lot depends on what techniques you will be using with your new set up. In any case IMO 10lb anything is too light. Baitcaster in general and for the most part are used for "power" fishing. I.e spinnerbaits, buzbaits, crankbaits, jigs and texas rigged plastics. With the 1st 3 you are making long casts and hits can and do usually occure soon after you start your retrieve. 10lb anything is going to have a LOT of stretch and you may not be happy with the hookup ratio you get. With a jig or a texas rig.... forget it. You will be breaking off a lot. I would start with 12-14 lb floro or 17lb mono.

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Mono is more forgiving than braid when learning to use a baitcaster. I have both my baitcasters spooled with 17lb Trilene mono and it works great. Yoda is correct, 10lb is too light.

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:00 pm

I agree with both of you about the heavier line, I use either 17 mono or 20 lb braid on mine. I was only suggesting to use what he had on hand for now, and we all know it will be changed later..Didn't mean to throw him off

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:25 pm

The rod is medium weight. It's marked 8-17lb for line weight. When the combo was still on Dick's website, the line capacity was listed as 12lb/?.

I know it's too light for pitching frogs into heavy cover.

I was going to use it for Jig 'n Pig, fishing weightless senkos, carolina rigs, casting lures, spinner baits, etc.

So, 17 mono would be appropriate.

As always, thank you for your input.

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm

I agree with John i use 17 lb mono on my baitcasters but after i get used to that specific reel I will switch it to braid. Braid is a lot more expensive to learn with haha

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:47 pm

I recently put 20# power pro on one of my baitcasters. Before that I had never used less than 50. Well either I'm not as good as I thought (just started using a baitcaster last year) or something about thin diameter but if I got a birdsnest and I was more than with mono or fluro they were way harder to pick out. I actually had to cut the line off. Now it has 15# mono

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:46 am

berkleegrad

Mono is more forgiving than braid when learning to use a baitcaster. I have both my baitcasters spooled with 17lb Trilene mono and it works great. Yoda is correct, 10lb is too light.

HAHAHA, THAT MAKES ME HAPPY. YODA

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:49 am

As always you are an informative bunch. Thank you.

I ended up putting a little of the 10lb Trilene on it because I had it, and wanted to try it out this morning. I'll pick up some 17lb mono for it.

I caught one keeper bass pitching a 4" Texas rigged senko.

May the fish be with you.

Patrick

Posted Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:06 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links