Does anyone know the name of a pond close to Beaver Dam Road in Plymouth MA? Its a short distance through the woods from the road. My dad said it has an old abandoned orphanage on an island in the middle of the lake. I looked on Google earth and I think it may be "Island Pond" but I'm not sure.

Posted Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:13 pm

The pond is named great island pond. If you switch to a hybrid view on the map you can actually see the house on the island. I'm fishing around there tomorrow so i'm actually thinking about checking it out

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:32 pm

I figured that was it. I was a little confused cause it looks like its surrounded by houses on google earth. My dads friend never mentioned neighborhoods and whatnot when he was telling me about it.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:37 pm

The road in can be an adventure. Better have 4wd, especially after all this rain. There are gong to be some deep puddles and lots of mud.

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:49 am

How is the fishing there? Can you get a canoe or kayak in there?

Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:30 pm

I find it fished well in the spring but gets tougher in the summer. I usually will put in a trip or 2 in April then cross it off my list. Too much effort getting to it from the main road for just an average day. Most fish are 1-2lbs

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:53 am

Ill try it just for the hell of it. I mostly just wanna explore the building on the island. Supposedly it's an old abandoned orphanage... Spooky

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Rhut Roh...... Sounds like a mystery for Scooby, Shaggy and the gang!

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm

If you don't have four wheel drive stay away.My biggest fish there was a 5 pounder in the spring.There are small mouth and large mouth there.Fish the cove off the beach to the left,nice pads with a good depth off of them.Across from that cove is some good timber in the water but lots of pics.Work the pads wood and the rocks around the island and you will catch fish.They may be small but you'll catch them.On occasion you will find a good one.

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Here is a link to more info about the pond:

http://www.greatislandatthepinehills.org/tour/greatislandpond.htm

From what I read the island is private property.

Posted Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:47 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links