I'm spooling up one of my reels with 10# high vis mono and I'd like to do some jigging with it. Should I tie on a low vis leader?

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:05 am

I would in clear water for sure.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:44 am

I would use a Flouro leader. I use a very long leader so as I cut to retie I don't have to retie the flouro. I use braid for main line and attach with a uni to uni knot. The problem with mono is the stretch...

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:43 pm

You are making too much out of it Exclamation Fish aren't that smart. Tie on your lure and go fish Exclamation Laughing

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:18 pm

while we are on the subject of stretch here is an older article that debunks the flourocarbon myths. just as much stretch as mono with poorer knot strength. only redeeming feature is abrasion resistance.http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:55 pm

oldfisher

while we are on the subject of stretch here is an older article that debunks the flourocarbon myths. just as much stretch as mono with poorer knot strength. only redeeming feature is abrasion resistance.http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

The link doesn't work but I'd have to disagree. I was using 10 # fluro on my jig rod. When things started getting weedy around here I relined with what I had on hand, 15 # mono. There was a major difference in stretch on the hookset. So much so that I changed line right away and now have 15 # fluro on there.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:15 pm

it depends on what brand you use. i make sure to use one with less stretch. i do agree on the knot strength though. you just need to wet it and re-tie often.

less visibility, line diameter / water resistance, and the fact that it sinks are big advantages to me.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:23 pm

link works fine just copy and paste it

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:33 pm

The test conducted is a strain test. Someone please correct me but I did not see anywhere in there a shock test which to me is what I'm using the fluoro for and what really matters. My hypothesis is that fluoro can resist shock better than mono. Under a constant load applied over time (even when this time is relatively short) they can be the same. The reason the shock testing isnt done is because its difficult to perform and measure. Doable but I imagine tackletour doesnt have the budget or the real care involved to check this out. And even if they did, the metric to be used is not as simple as it seems so there would be some subjectivity in that. Bottom line, if I'm jigging in clear water, you bet Im using fluoro.

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:59 pm

My answer would be Yes and No. There will be days when you could throw your bait on a clothes line and the bass will still crush it but there will be other days when they are finicky and line shy so being as stelth and invisable is the only way to get bit. When you think about it.... why wouldn't you use a leader.

But my question to you is.... why are you spooling up with hi vis mono to start with?

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:10 pm

stratos1966

My answer would be Yes and No. There will be days when you could throw your bait on a clothes line and the bass will still crush it but there will be other days when they are finicky and line shy so being as stelth and invisable is the only way to get bit. When you think about it.... why wouldn't you use a leader.

But my question to you is.... why are you spooling up with hi vis mono to start with?

Some find mono more forgiving easier to work with and less expensive (I know I know braid lasts a looooong time so it could be wash on $ over time). That said if it is a hi vis question and jig fishing is alot about the line jump or movement I see the benifit of the hi vis and have thought of it myself as I get older and dont have $200 super sensitive rods.

Posted Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:00 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links