is there such a thing as too fast of a line retrieve on reels. i'm trying to figure out a possible change in spinning reels on a couple rods. i've got it narrowe down to a couple. they only difference on them is a 35/36" per crank vs. a 40" per crank retrieve and a 115 yd vs. a 200 yd spool.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:50 am

Line retrieve on spinning reels is there for your own personal preferance. If you hook a fish on a spinning reel you are only going to bring that fish in at a certain rate, pertaining to size of fish drag setting, size of line and strength of rod. Not like a baitcaster where you make him waterski in. I would get the fastest one available which would let you reel in and make another cast as quickly as possible. Unless you do not tournament fish therefor you can use a beer can.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:57 pm

I agree with Bob. get the fastest you can. It just makes fishing easier. Think about this. you cast out a jig and now you move it by hoping, dragging poping until your rod is at 1:00. Now you have o drop the tip and reel up. Well a 7:1 is going to do it a lot faster then a 5:1.
However not all gear ratios are created the same. Spool size and diameter play into it as well. A 6.2:1 can bring in line quicker then a 7:1 if it has a bigger spool BPS ususally lists "line recover" on its reels. That is the actual amount of line your reel puts back on the spool with one complete handel turn and a better indicator of how much and how fast you are putting line back on the spool.

Remmber this it is easier to slow down then it is to speed up

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:14 pm

i only go low ratio when cranking - it forces you to fish slowly and there's less torque. i personally find that it's not that easy to fish as slowly as i want sometimes using a consistent retrieve with a higher ratio reel. especially in the wind on a boat.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:15 pm

I can't fish slow for sh*t!!! It's so hard.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm with Shawn. Every time I put on a soft plastic I get bored to death after 5 minutes. That's the reason I'm always using crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:33 pm

i mean reel in slowly. you're not really fishing slowly when cranking. not like throwing a senko.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Believe it or not you can burn a crankbait as fast as you possible can and trigger a bite and then there are times when, once you get the crankbait to the bottom, you barley turn the handle so it slowly digs and deflects. I can think of a few senerios with both these techniques worked well.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:03 pm

i agree. when i fish cranks, i'm ripping through weeds / grass, or dredging up the bottom. i have no problem reeling fast with a 5.4:1 and just have personally done better fishing cranks slowly. i always start out faster then try reeling slowly to see if one's working better. don't count out the bump and pause to let it rise up a little as well after it deflects. that triggers reaction strikes as well. i like the faster rip with the lipless but don't fish them a lot.

Posted Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links