Unfortunately i am without a boat at my disposal. I live in Lowell and need to find a good place to fish that is accessible on foot. Ive heard all the stories of fishing the merrimack but have gone there a dozen times only to catch a couple small bass. Tips?

Posted Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:16 pm

From what I understand the canals are actually full of carp and catfish. I haven't had a chance to test it out myself though.

If you have a car Freeman Lake in Chelmsford is definitely worth the drive. You can fish of the little park area next to the VFW or Knights of Columbus or whatever it is. I'vge pulled in Smallmouth, Largemouth, Bullhead from that spot, and my friend pulled in a carp, which are actually in there because someone illegally introduced them.

Beaver Brook runs right into Lowell through Dracut and there's a few spots you could hit that from along Lakeview Ave.

I work/grew up in Billerica and if you're willing to make that drive Winnings Pond has a good spot where there's a downed tree you can walk out on and snag some bass, Nutting Lake is fishable right off the turnpike, but you might have to pay a buck or two to park at Micozzi Beach, and The Concord River runs through town so you can find a few spots along that as well.

How far are you willing to drive?

Posted Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:11 am

i live in chelmsford and personally love fishing freeman lake. theres also a spot on freeman near the spillway just go down spring street off fair mount and thees a whole bunch of spots down there. if your ever in the area gimme a buzz ill be more than happy to fish with you just pm me for a number or email or something. if you end up deciding to fish freeman id pick you up in my canoe. i threw a trolling motor on it its a pretty sweet setup. also I've had some great luck with carp in the lowell canals. in chelmsford there are some streams that I've had great luck with catching bass in i can give you directions to those if you want them. and long sought for pond has some great fishing if your willing to drive there. its right off route 40. good luck out there!

Posted Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:48 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links