I may be setting myself up for this, but I really am curious to hear what local people think.

Typically I fish no more than 15 lb test Izor mono copolymer on either a 6.5' light action or a 7' medium action fiberglass spinning rod. My reels are almost always old Mitchell 300a or 410 rebuilds. On rare occasions I go to 20lb braid on a 410 with tungsten carbide rollers on the bail and tungsten carbide guides on a med rod.

Even when fishing frogs or other topwater this is as heavy as I go.

So what I hear here and on other Bass forums is typically heavy rods, 30lb braid.

I'm thinking it's the way I grew up fishing and I'm comfortable with this style. Around this area, people are fishing much heavier tackle and I'ld like to hear why.

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm

trowing into the heaviest cover possible ,those little holes way back in the sh-t throw past onto land grass whatever drag that frog or hop it into the water you will know why 7 ft rod heavy fast tip 40 to 60 pd braid will get those hogs up onto the top of that stuff but allow you to drag them through and over the cover

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:12 pm

15 lb mono on a light action rod is overkill Exclamation Light action means light action Exclamation That's a trout/panfish rod designed for use with light lines. I would go no heavier than 8 lb mono or fluoro on that setup. Also, a fiberglass rod is the wrong choice for frog fishing. It's too soft in the tip. A med. heavy graphite composite rod would be a much better choice with no less than 30 lb braid.

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:55 am

That was No More than 15 lb. Generally I fish 6-10 lb line on light action rods, 10-12 lb on med action (both fast tip) and 12-15 on med action. On occasion I use 15 lb Izor on a light action as Izor is a very limp line that's useful when there is a lot of weed and I don't want to lose another lure and I'm out there without a med action rod at hand. It's not the best solution but it's a compromise.

A lot has to do with the brand. Izor is very limp but it doesn't have a lot of stretch so I can get away with heavier test.

I'll have to try the graphite rod for frogs. The old fiberglass rods I fish are all fast tips. I rarely fish frogs but plan to try them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 am

I'm not big on super heavy line, I usually use 20lb braid with 20lb flouro leader. Sometimes if the line is too strong, and you get your lure snagged, it won't break. I'd rather lose a $4 lure than snap my rod. I fish lots of pads and rarely break off, although I don't think I'd want to go much lighter.

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:45 am

for me, a light action is fine bass or large trout rod. Ultralight is for panfish or small trout.

I've a feeling many people are used to muscling in lures and fish instead of using a lighter hand.

The 20lb braid sounds like a nice compromise though I think I'ld go for a lighter weight leader to save the rod.

Lately I've been fishing a 5.5' light action, fast taper fiberglass rod with either 8 or 10 lb Izor line. The action and fun on this way beats a heavier rod. For long casts, a 6.5' light action fast taper.

I'll spool up some light braid and see what happens.

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Yes, you can fish for bass with a light action rod. It all depends on what you are using for a lure or bait. Everything needs to be somewhat compatable. Rod, reel, line and lure Exclamation It is not meant for throwing frogs or 3/8 oz. jigs Exclamation I've seen it done and it ain't pretty Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Beg to differ on the action and the lure. It depends on the setup. Some of my light action fiberglass rods are rated for up to .5 oz lures and I regularly throw them. For a lure that heavy, I use a side arm lob instead of an overhead cast. That's all.

It's up to the particular rod and how it was designed so you have to check on the specs.

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:27 pm

Hey, whatever works for you Exclamation Laughing

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:51 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links