So this weekend I hope to go out and hit up some lily pads with a Koppers Live Target hollow body frog. The problem is I'm not really set up for it. I have a 6'6" MH baitcaster but it's spooled with 14lb mono. I have a 7' M spinning rod spooled with 30lb braid. I'd like to re-spool the baitcaster with 30lb braid but... a) is that too thin of a line diameter wise for a baitcaster and b) that 14lb mono has only been fished twice and I don't want to waste it. How can I change line and keep the old line for another time? Also, I'd like to have one of my setups Texas rigged with a Havoc Pit Boss to throw when they miss the frog. Decisions decisions!!!!!

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:40 pm

I hope your froggin open water with that gear. No offence but you hook a big gurl she's gonna take you to town!

7ft + Heavy with fast tp - min. of 50lb braid is what you need.

Very Happy

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:48 pm

I agree with you totally. But I'm not in the market for a new setup. And with temps hitting 90 this weekend, the bass will mostly be under the weeds and lillies.

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Ideally you would buy a medium heavy to heavy action spinning rod and that would solve a lot of what you are asking

Let me say this is not an ideal solution but given the prameters you set, its the best you can do.

Pull the braid off your spinning reel and wrap it around a round object, ideally it would be an empty spool of line. Now take the tag end of the mono,pass it through the guides of the baitcaster and tie it onto the reel and fill the spool. Now take the brid and fill the baitcaster. 30lb fine for a baitcaster and for getting a sloid hookset and the fish out once hooked. Now rig the pitboss on the spinning rod and have at it.

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:57 pm

Stratos - Good idea but don't you think he'll be getting the old birds nest after a few cast? That line will be twisted coming off one reel and onto the next. I've done this in a pinch before and it caused me more headaches than what its worth. It sucks line is so $$$$ these days and we have to do this. I wish it were more affordable.

Tight lines to all

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:30 pm

bcodkind

I agree with you totally. But I'm not in the market for a new setup. And with temps hitting 90 this weekend, the bass will mostly be under the weeds and lillies.

I hear ya!

Good luck this weekend! I'll be out there myself pounding the water!

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:32 pm

tommyboy

Stratos - Good idea but don't you think he'll be getting the old birds nest after a few cast? That line will be twisted coming off one reel and onto the next. I've done this in a pinch before and it caused me more headaches than what its worth. It sucks line is so $$$$ these days and we have to do this. I wish it were more affordable.

Tight lines to all

You can actually take the spool right off the spinning reel and let the line come off as if it was a baitcaster. Birds nests on baicasters are not caused by linetwist, they are caused by over run( the spool spinning faster then your bait is traveling). Also most meduim to high end spinning reels now have an inline roller on the bail. When a reel has one you no longer should be setting a spool of line down on the ground and letting the line come off in loops as you reel it on your spinnig reel. You should do it just like you do for a baitcaster in that you stick a pencil in the spool and let the spool unwind as your reel winds it in. If done this way there should be no issues.

Edit: If you choose to just reel in the line from the spinning reel to the baitcaster the line twist you will get can be reversed , assuming you have a boat, by letting out the line behind the boat as you travel forward. the motionforward will remove all line twist. Now you simply just reel it back in.

In this situation I would personally save the braid and lose the mono and just rebuy it. WE are talking 6-7 bucks for 300 yards of berkley Trilene. that will fill that reel 2 3 times over if you use a little backing.

Posted Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:47 pm

In complete contradiction of myself....I went out and bought an Abu Garcia Black Max baitcaster reel and loaded it with 50lb braid. This way I have two reels with two very different lines for different situations. The rod is a 6'6" MH so now i'm much more confident to go frogging. Here's hoping they're hungry!!!

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:15 am

I wouldnt use anything other than 50 lb Power Pro Braid in a pinch I used Spider Wire ONCE now I use it as floss for my teeth, its not a flowing at Power Pro, its way waxier, and I find it gets bound up on the reel, any walmart carries 50lb Power Pro Braid for 12$ a spool, if your using the medium heavy to frog you can always uni to uni a florocarbon leader on to throw other baits as well.

P.S. Dont set the hook on the explosion! wait to feel the fish then drive the hook home, Oh ya one more thing... hang on tight and remember you have to break her will, once you get her head coming her body will follow, dont let her drag you down, also check out these frogs, if you like you can use my discount code from my Lake Staff Card "EVO456" for a 10 to 15% discount

http://evolvebaits.com/

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:47 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links