for what it's worth i've had much better productivity over the past couple weeks dragging a jig with uncle josh frog pork trailer vs. a spro bronzeye frog over thick pads.

i was thinking about stocking up on a ton of different frogs but i may just stick to the jig for the whole season.

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:52 pm

I agree Exclamation I definitely get more fish on a jig than a frog. I will throw a frog when the conditions seem perfect and nada! Some guys hammer them with frogs, I struggle to get a hit Exclamation Laughing Not my favorite bait. I also do not fish a jig in the traditional manner. I drag it along the bottom in open water. Pitching it to a stump isn't my thing Exclamation Boooring Exclamation

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:53 pm

I love fishing the jig and pig!

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm the polar opposite Roger....but you are still the man brotha!

I don't think I've given jig fishing it's proper time on the water- I have caught a couple good ones as well as some young bucks on them but I probably throw it 5% of the time I'm on the water. I guess it's a comfort thing- case in point, up until this spring I rarely fished with crank baits and after a solid day in late March with them I've kept them in my arsenal and done quite well in many situations.

Frogs on the other hand have been my favorite lure (jitterbugs a close second). The pure adrenalin from a monster attack is second to none on the water. As my hook up ratio has improved I've literally been fishing frogs from April to late October for the last couple seasons. It produces more lunker bass for me than any other lure. I throw it anytime conditions are reasonable for it and find a hard time putting it down unless I'm tourney fishing and need to try to fill a limit....that leads to texas and wacky senko time.

My main point is fish with what works for you as well as with what you enjoy angling with in the water. Don't put the frog down too soon though and make sure you change up you're presentation. I recommend using snag proof and live target soft bellies in the future!

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Valps, I immediately thought of you when I saw this topic. You my friend are without a doubt THE frogman of MAFF!!

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Jeff, before the season is out, come out with me and I will put you on some jig fish.

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:04 am

Sounds good Karl- I'd like to learn how to be a better jig fisherman and who better to learn from than Northshore!

We'll work out a time to get out there.

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:30 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links