I just purchased a 12' jon boat and I'd like to attach some cleats. I don't have a welder nor do I know anybody who does. What's the best option for adhering things to the boat? Should I go with a two part epoxy? Also, on a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is "no problem" and 10 is "Darwin Award," how important is a battery case when using the batt to power your trolling motor? Thanks!!!

Posted Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 am

everything above the waterline can be drilled and screwed - as for the cleats they are mounted via screws or bolts.

battery case makes it easy to load /unload battery while launch / wrap up - also it keeps it protected from water and shorting out

Posted Wed May 02, 2012 9:31 am

skoda

everything above the waterline can be drilled and screwed - as for the cleats they are mounted via screws or bolts.

battery case makes it easy to load /unload battery while launch / wrap up - also it keeps it protected from water and shorting out

Do I need a special bit to drill through aluminum?

Posted Wed May 02, 2012 9:34 am

Nice pick up Batery box I don't think is vital. Unless maybe you are trying to place the battery away from the motor.

For cleats option one would be riveting them on. Option 2 which would be best, if you can make and openening to get access, bolts nuts and washers.

Where the cleats are going would play a big role in how or what could be used to secure them imo.

Posted Wed May 02, 2012 9:34 am

Nice pick up. Some of the other guys with boats like that have added some nice mods. Check out this thread
http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/team-beaver-fever-budget-bass-jon-boat-build-t5433.html

Posted Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 am

shawneramone

Nice pick up. Some of the other guys with boats like that have added some nice mods. Check out this thread
http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/team-beaver-fever-budget-bass-jon-boat-build-t5433.html

Wow, those are some awesome mods. I especially like the deck and the livewell. Unfortunately I lack $$ and have almost no tools Sad

Posted Wed May 02, 2012 11:35 am

I did some mods to my john boat. You can look at the pics on my profile to see what i did. I used POP Rivits to attatch cleets to the boat. You drill a small holeinsert the rivit and compress with a rivet tool. The rivits and tools are inexpensive ( under$30)

Posted Wed May 02, 2012 11:57 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links