Heading to Quabbin for the first time ever on Sunday with a friend and I have been told by a friend that fishes it every weekend to try gate 43 and very close to the launch he claims is very good fishing for smallies, LMB and even the occasional laker who got lost. I going to rent a boat (aka get there at the ass crack of dawn) cause I don't think I can bring my own car topper and I only have a trolling.

Anyone got any advice for a newbie with no electronics and going out 43 (maybe even gate 8, it's alot closer but I don't know which ones rent boats?)? Thanks for any tips from our central mass fishermen

Posted Thu May 03, 2012 10:02 am

Gate 43: It's about an hour and 45 minute drive for me from Everett so it's my goal to be there 1st which means about a 5 am arrival. The gate opens at 6. Don't go down before 6 or they'll send you back. I fished there with no electronics for years. It can be done. I've had good luck with spinner baits this time of year. Check out some of the trips that guys have posted from the Q for bait tips. I caught a 5 lb laker in like 3 feet of water 2 years ago on a live shiner. It was the only time I ever used shiners there. Don't be intimidated by the size of the place. Just break it down and fish what looks best to you. Good luck. That's my favorite place to fish in the whole world. Keep your eyes out for eagles too. They're awesome

Posted Thu May 03, 2012 10:59 am

Right now the water is still cold. Last report I got from earlier this week is 49*. The smallies are still pretty deep and are being caught on jerkbaits, silver buddies and spider jigs worked SLOWLY. Look for extended point on land and then follow them out into the water watch you baits as the fall to guage the depth you are in once you get too deep to see the bottom. Did I mention to fish SLOW???

Posted Thu May 03, 2012 11:17 am

So what you're saying is, very quick retrieves? Got it

Posted Thu May 03, 2012 11:21 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links