for all the newbies out there....

are we in prespawn largemouth mode now? and also when can you tell when it changes from prespawn to spawn to post spawn? are you just looking for water temps to hit a certain period/ searching for bass bed/ bass protecting bed/ etc.??

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:58 am

Prespawn starts with ice out and lasts until you start seeing beds with bass on them in numbers. I saw bass making beds 2 weeks ago ( earliest ever for me) when it was 85* and the water temps shot up into the upper 50's and lower 60's on some shallow puddles. I did not see spawning activities but males were making beds. The bigger females were either on the 1st drop or in cover "waiting" Once the shallows are warmer then the deeper water ( little known fact is that in late fall, winter and JUST after ice out, the water in 10, 15, 20, 25 feet is warmer then the shallows. Thats because of water pressure. The pressure prevents from deeper water from getting below 37* or so. Think about it. If this was not true ponds and lakes would freeze solid from top to bottom.) usually all it takes is a week or 2 of decient weather, fish start moving up. Like I said spawn is easy to detect. Just look down. Post spawn usually is a couple weeks after a lake is in full spawn mode. Look for lots of empty beds or lots of Bluegill beds. Bluegills spawn after bass and if there are a lot of Bluegill beds the bass are usually done. Post spawn can be tough for a couple weeks but then...... LOOK OUT. The fish go on the feed BIG TIME. Hit it right and you can have 50-60 fish days until the fish move into summer mode and settle into their summer patterns

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:44 pm

I agree with what this guy above me said

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Water temp has dropped back down to the upper 40's and has been holding steady. I haven't seen it go up a degree in 2 weeks Exclamation It has gone back to a "normal" schedule, probably the last week of May first week of June. And that all depends on water temp. The past couple of years because of the water temp I couldn't tell if there was even a spawn Exclamation

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:04 pm

For the "newbies"...you will see the spawning beds fairly easily. they are large circles cleared out on the bottom that will stand out against the other debri on the bottom.

Pre-Spawn fishing can be killer. Like most animals, they are coming out of winter hungry and ready for the warmer months. They are also getting ready to make and then protect eggs, which means they will be eating in preparation.

Posted Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:30 pm

Another "Newb" just wanting to say this forum is a great resource. thanks for sharing information like this.

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:55 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links