My son likes to chase the Trout and is anxious to fish Wallum. I heard yesterday that Trout fishing at Wallum doesn't start until mid-April. The angler that told me this said that the lake is under RI rules and they still have an opening day. Is that accurate?

Tate

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:59 am

yea, I called the wallum state park 2 weeks ago and asked if it's open year round and they said it's closed until trout season starts. I didn't ask when exactly that is, I was looking for somewhere to go bass fishing the next day. I believe its the third Saturday in April but i'm not positive.

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:02 am

I believe(coming out of normal winters) each body of water 'opens' based primarily on ice conditions,storm damage,and spawn/water temps...60degrees 2-3???days consecutively...I could be wrong...but thats what it says on the MasFish&Wildlife site...a good rule of thumb I use is April 20th...The Wachusett res opened april 9th in 2009...in fact due to some light damage that year opened 'officially' on the 14th...if there's EVER questions...Ranger Stations can be a fisherman's BEST FRIEND...I think Westboro and Brimfield are "manned" year 'round...and can be looked up pretty easily...

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:32 am

Wallum is in both states and falls under RI rules. Rhode Island has a "closed" season for trout. Basically Trout season is open from April 9th till Feb 28th...with a keep limit change in December through Feb. I know this because I cannot fish for carp along some of my favorite sections of the Blackstone until April 9th as well due to Rhode Island considering them trout waters.

Their site has not updated yet but the dates remain pretty much the same each year. It isn't about the opening of the park, but the opening of trout season. Below is the abstracts from the official DEM site from 2011... Page 6 and 7 or so have the open/closed info.

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/freshabs.pdf

On that note..don't plan to be there on the 9th unless you really enjoy crowds...

1. Fishing in any freshwater stream or pond within this state without
a valid fi shing license (except as noted on page 5).
2. Fishing in any stream, designated trout stream or designated trout
pond of the state, unless otherwise regulated, between 1 March
2011 and 6 AM 9 April 2011.

3. Possessing trout, salmon, or charr during the seasonal closure.
4. Using corn for bait in any trout waters.
5. Chumming in any trout waters.
6. Snagging fi sh in fresh waters.
7. Using any substance injurious to fi sh life in any stream or freshwater
pond within the state except by permit issued bythe DEM.
8. Detonating any explosive

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Thank you for the info. That April date is like the old days in Ma. I remember as a kid that it was sort of fun looking forward to "opening day" and making all the plans, it use to be a big deal. But much better not have those restrictions anymore.

I read the RI abstract and noticed that bass do not have a season defined with dates. Does that mean that fishing Wallum for bass is ok before the April trout season as long as you do not target trout?

If so does anyone know if the Douglas State Park ramp gates are open yet? I know I fished there early season last year but can't recall the date of the first trip.

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 pm

tate

Thank you for the info. That April date is like the old days in Ma. I remember as a kid that it was sort of fun looking forward to "opening day" and making all the plans, it use to be a big deal. But much better not have those restrictions anymore.

I read the RI abstract and noticed that bass do not have a season defined with dates. Does that mean that fishing Wallum for bass is ok before the April trout season as long as you do not target trout?

If so does anyone know if the Douglas State Park ramp gates are open yet? I know I fished there early season last year but can't recall the date of the first trip.

I just read the "red" above and then the abstract again and it appears Wallum is a designated "trout water" so no fishing until April 9th or whatever they it to this year.

Tate

Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:49 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links