I picked up an Old Pal tackle box at a local auction, mostly for the box but also because it had a few 19th C patented lures (not that I know anything about old lures). Plus a half dozen nice 1920's tailed spinners.

There are also nearly 30 floating minnow, three hook lures, all at 3.5 inches length.

All I can guess is this guy didn't like to sharpen hooks and simply bought a new lure each time the hook became dull?

I don't know much about older lures so I can't identify what is what, although most seem to be of only four or five makes. Guess a book or two is in order to figure this stuff out.

Anyone have any idea why one person would have so many of the same kind of lure and keep them all?

Posted Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:37 am

I figured out what the lure are: Mirrolure brand. Mostly silver with some of the yellow scale varieties. Some need new hooks, some need sharpening but most are usable with some cleaning.

Not was I was expecting. I just wanted the metal tackle box to replace one that had rusted out following a basement flood.

Guess I'll try them out this spring in and around the Charles up in Dedham.

Posted Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:26 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links