So for Christmas my girlfriend bought me a new reel from BPS when it was on sale, it's a Quantum KVD Signature baitcast 7.0:1 retrieve. So my questions are: (1) retrieve speeds, what is 7.0:1 best for? (2) Rod choices for what I'll use it for?

What I mean by the second one is, I have a crankbait/swimbait set up and I use my spinning set up for jigging. Say 7.0:1 is good for spinnerbaits, what type of rod do I go with? Thanks for any responses. And PS I'm probably going to buy a St. Croix Mojo Bass Rod, if that helps cause my local Dicks has them for $79.99 this week Smile

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:47 pm

I just bought a BPS pro qualifier 7:0:1. I have it paired with a 6'6 St Croix Mojo that I think is medium (I'll have to double check that) The guy I bought it from used it as a worm/jig rod and I was planning on doing the same. I put 10# flurocarbon on it and it casts a texas rigged (1/4 ounce weight) creature a mile.

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:06 pm

7:0:1 are good for spinnerbaits, I think frogs too, anything that you want to go fast. For a spinnerbait, I'd go at least 6'6", 7' might be better so you can cast it further and cover more area, which is one of the main uses for spinnerbaits. I'd probably go with a MH weight, and something with a fairly stiff tip. I have an Ugly Stik as my spinnerbait rod, and I think the tip is too soft, even though its a MH, and I don't get the distance I'd like to on my casts.

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:10 pm

If you go to the St Croix website and look at the mojo rods, They tell you what application to use each rod for. If you are looking for a spinnerbait rod the rod you want is the MBC70MHF.This rod would also be a good buzzbait rod. If you want to fish a frog. you want the MDC70HF

Posted Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks for replies. Yeah I just look at St. Croix's site, that makes it alot easier.

Posted Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:52 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links