JUst seen the mass fish and wildlife truck stocking the pond. FYI for th trout fishermen in the area.

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:01 pm

nofx99

JUst seen the mass fish and wildlife truck stocking the pond. FYI for th trout fishermen in the area.

where is this pond and was it just stocked with trout or other fish as well?

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Even though they stock it every year, and some of the trout do hold over, i never have had any luck here. The only thing i've caught here was sun fish when i was about 9 years old. I know there's -huge- bass in here, and pretty good sized rainbow trout, and good sized smallies, but i've personally never seen them. Hopefully one day i'll be able to say different.

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:17 pm

same here i never have luck their, but i hear stories about big fish plus i like to fish from boats ,and u have to rent one from the mdc their ,and with all state agencies they screw the hell out of u!

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:44 pm

I wouldn't mind renting from there if it wasn't so damn expensive. I can pay 40 bucks for the day for a motorized boat at the Q, or I can pay 30 bucks an hour for a rowboat at Spot Pond. Something is just a little messed up.

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:11 am

Went to spot pond on Sunday around 3 oclock, and fished the bank next to quartermile pond for about 45 minutes without a bite.

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:02 pm

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone catching trout at Spot...I don't see the point of stocking there because trout like cold water (deeper water), and you can't really reach the deep spots from shore and its basically unaffordable to fish from a boat. There are probably monsters in there, unless the bass eat them all, which could explain the huge bass in there. That's how the bass in those California reservoirs get so big...

Has anyone had luck with trout there??

Posted Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 am

hersey617 did today just seen his post! you are so right... prices are insane to get a boat, and they have stocked it for at least 6 or 7 yrs now. so that might be the reason the fish get so big. i think it might be a good idea to try a rapala sinking husky jerk in rainbow color just such a tough place to fish.

Posted Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Success today with trout at Spot!

I hit up Spot Pond today with my bro for primarily bass fishing. And since I had my microlite all rigged up for trout I figured what the heck I'll throw it out there while we bass fish.

No more than 20 minutes went by before the rod bent and I had my first Rainbow trout from Spot Pond! (a little guy but I was still pumped!)

So of course I recast after this and continued bass fishing. In the next hour we had about 4 bites on the trout rod, but we were too preoccupied with our bass fishing to get to the rod in time. After that I started standing right next to the rod while I continued bass fishing.

Sure enough another trout hit, and it was another little guy, Number 2!

Ten minutes later, another hit, and this time I knew it was decent, it put up one heck of a fight. Number 3 landed, and it was my biggest trout ever! It wasn't a monster holdover but it was really decent, I wish I weighed it.

So yeah they're in there, and they aren't that deep, I was casting into the shallows and just letting it sit.

Posted Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:51 pm

towelie,
For the Trout, what were you using for bait.....
Have you ever tried the other side of 93 called Dark Hollow?????

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:09 am

revjim708

towelie,
For the Trout, what were you using for bait.....
Have you ever tried the other side of 93 called Dark Hollow?????

Berkely Power Bait, the regular stuff (yellow jars) not the Gulp ones. I think the Gulp smells like dirty socks and I think the trout feel that way too, while Bass on the other supposedly love the stuff.

So Dark Hallow is what the section is called eh? Me and brother were just talking about that place when we were at Spot the other day. Neither of us have ever fished it, but we both agreed it looked like great largemouth territory. We weren't sure if it was considered Spot Pond territory or North/Middle/South Reservoir territory, where it is illegal to fish.

Do you if its connected to Spot Pond by water? I couldn't really tell looking at google maps.

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:17 pm

towelie,

I just got back into fishing last year, after a 30 year absents. Things sure have changed. 30 years ago you could not fish Spot Pond but you could fish Dark Hallow. Don't know about that today. It is not connected to Spot Pond. There use to be a road that lead down to it and you were able to put in a canoe. There were some nice Bass in there.
I am going to take a ride there and see what I can find and will probable fish Spot Pond. Where do you park to fish Spot Pond???

Rev Jim..............

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:50 am

revjim708

towelie,

I just got back into fishing last year, after a 30 year absents. Things sure have changed. 30 years ago you could not fish Spot Pond but you could fish Dark Hallow. Don't know about that today. It is not connected to Spot Pond. There use to be a road that lead down to it and you were able to put in a canoe. There were some nice Bass in there.
I am going to take a ride there and see what I can find and will probable fish Spot Pond. Where do you park to fish Spot Pond???

Rev Jim..............

There are numerous places to park but I only park in one place which is called Straw Point. All the places I like to fish at Spot are very close to this parking area. After you park at Straw, it doesn't matter which direction you head, (left or right), I think the fishing is really good either way. There are terrific spots that you will clearly see no more than a 5 minute walk in either direction.

Put this address into google maps and zoom in and you can see the parking area. I've never had any problems finding a place to park here, even at its busiest, which is really great.

25 New S street stoneham ma

I'd also recommend reading the Spot Pond thread over in the Bass fishing forums if you haven't already (thread is called Turtle Rock something something). There is some great material in there on how the pond can be tough at times due to its clear water, rock structure, abundant forage of crawfish and trout, etc.. While tough at times, this combination of conditions has allowed some monsters to grow in there!

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:57 am

Dark Hollow is NOT part of Spot and I dont think its connected. Beware Dark Hollow area is a Gay Cruising Spot and you will see things around there you wished you didnt. Spot pond has been drained supposedly twice but I know for a fact it was in late 70's. They took the fish and dumped them in surrounding ponds, Dark Hollow is one of them. There is a pond off Montvale ave In Woburn, they put fish from Spot in there too. I know of a 9 pounder that came out of there.

Dark Hollow has killer fish in it and HUGE Pickerel. Its just a b**** to get in there and no place to park.

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:32 am

Google map tip for you guys. Right click and then select "whats here"
It will spit out the coordinates for the area you clicked on.

Then enter coordinates in google maps. 42.464681,-71.100436

Good way to share spots or launches, etc.

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:36 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links