Are there any Bass clubs collecting trees? I've heard about clubs putting trees in their local ponds and lakes to create cover. Was wondering if anybody was doing this. I'd give em my tree.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:23 pm

That's Genius!

shawneramone

Are there any Bass clubs collecting trees? I've heard about clubs putting trees in their local ponds and lakes to create cover. Was wondering if anybody was doing this. I'd give em my tree.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:48 pm

this topic came up before...I'm going to let blackstone handle it

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Wait...it's not genius?hahahahaha a

kman

this topic came up before...I'm going to let blackstone handle it

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Why wouldn't you put it in your own water hole, makes a nice spot to fish that only you know about??

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I've been considering doing this as well.

Anyone have any idea if there are any legal issues?

I hear people like to take the trees and leave em on the ice. wait for them to melt and then come spring/fall they have their own little secret cover spot.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:21 pm

NO WAY PAL ! no more "secret spots" for you Mr."I won a GOLD-PIN last week" hahahahahaha
meatballs

Why wouldn't you put it in your own water hole, makes a nice spot to fish that only you know about??

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:29 pm

riverrat82

NO WAY PAL ! no more "secret spots" for you Mr."I won a GOLD-PIN last week" hahahahahaha

meatballs

haha i wish. just bronze pins for little ol' me. we'll see if i can scrounge up a gold pin this ice season. will be out in the berkshires next week. should be some solid ice out that way by wednesday.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Not that I know of, does however make a mess.

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:50 pm

This definitely came up last season, as Kman mentioned, and Blackstonecarp is the man with the answers...just leave them on the curb like you have every other year...

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:27 pm

I will keep this simple. Many towns and watersheds do indeed have laws, regulations or just "please Don'ts" in effect.

In a nutshell, it sounds like a great plan for fishermen. Even some bass clubs are doing it, heck I read that some fisheries are doing it...

It is a bad thing. Let us take a look at what happens when some sort of plant life enters the water. It decays. It is that simple...as it decays it depletes the water of oxygen. It creates silt and sediment. It is in essence a natural water pollution. I find it funny that bass clubs and/or fisheries want to add them to help "give structure to small fish" when what they are doing it taking the oxygen away from said fish and creating silt that will slow the breeding of fish like Bass and trout who prefer to spawn over clear bottom. In turn this affects the turbidity when the silt is disturbed by boats/wind/swimming etc which limits the sight of many fish who rely heavily on it to feed.

I could go on but I hope you get my point. There are plenty of natural structures in nature that do not need our help in getting there.

I know some of you will say, well what is a few trees. I say how many bass fishermen are there in this state? We aren't talking about a few trees, we could be talking about a couple of thousand..above and beyond what naturally falls into the water all through the year. I know that people mean well, and I tend to catch a lot of slack for expressing these types of opinions, but I stand firm that we can make a huge change to our world for the future if we simply put a bit of forethought into today.

That said, you wanna recycle em? Why not have a bon-fire for the Maffers? Razz Or I'm sure someone here has a wood chipper...lets get some free chips for our garden projects come spring...

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks guys. This is exactly why I asked. Over the course of my life I've learned the ideas that I think are great are usually gonna get me in trouble. Thanks Blackstone

Posted Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:10 pm

I like the bon-fire idea ! although ya need a burn permit in most every town now...so that's OUT too...it's estimate that 50 million trees are "farmed" for christmas every year...it's ALSO estimated that 30million of them NEVER GET BOUGHT & USED !...ya wanna talk ecological disaster...there it is RIGHT THERE...is it legit/legal to build a bunch of mock-dog houses and sink those instead?...of course I'm a just bein' funny here...NICE CALL Erik !

shawneramone

Thanks guys. This is exactly why I asked. Over the course of my life I've learned the ideas that I think are great are usually gonna get me in trouble. Thanks Blackstone

Posted Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:43 am

shawneramone

Its funny..I think that same thing every time I see a good looking girl in a short skirt and fish nets...

riverrat82

I like the bon-fire idea ! although ya need a burn permit in most every town now...so that's OUT too...it's estimate that 50 million trees are "farmed" for christmas every year...it's ALSO estimated that 30million of them NEVER GET BOUGHT & USED !...ya wanna talk ecological disaster...there it is RIGHT THERE...is it legit/legal to build a bunch of mock-dog houses and sink those instead?...of course I'm a just bein' funny here...NICE CALL Erik !

I guess it might be ok, if you made them really really small..like bass or sunfish sized...

Posted Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:39 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links