I'm hoping upon hope that there isn't a whole rash of guys that'll be looking the other way on this LEAD BAN.'Cause one sure pay to PISS OFF The River Rat is to throw cost to the winds of change !
Don't get me goin' and don't let me catch 'you' still throwing lead next year...A VISCIOUS enviromental argument IS GOING TO ENSUE ! So WISE UP ! This coming year will be a BAD year---FOR ALL--WE ALL have to start over and become MORE responsible than MOST of us already are
---on a thread ealier this summer a few of us joked about the 'DEPUTIZATION' of MAFFERZ...I don't want a police state guys,seriously...but I'd be willing to stop other fisherman...t' say hello and what are you throwing today?... and if it's lead...pull out my little pad and getchya off my lake today! ---Damon...Jay...Niel(here're ya badges boys)...I got a posse' started ALREADY hahahaha SERIOUSLY DON'T THROW LEAD---unless it comes out the end of a gun...and RESPONSIBLY THERE TOO !

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:34 am

I just melted down 4lbs the other day for my spinnerbaits, sorry bro!

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:55 am

johnnybag-a-bass

I just melted down 4lbs the other day for my spinnerbaits, sorry bro!

EXPONETIALLY ---4 more POUNDS in the drink just this next season coming up alone Johnny? That can't be right can it ?if thats truly the case ...WOW ! thats NUTZ

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:06 pm

nooo i kid, i'm a kidder you crazy son of a biatch!

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:09 pm

johnnybag-a-bass

ya ever seen the movie "a beautiful mind"? "rain man" yea yea thats me yea yea savant like when it come to certain subjects --killing mommy-earth...not good ...hahahahahahahahaha

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 pm

johnnybag-a-bass

Lmao!!! Johnny I thought you painted your lures with lead paint you found in the basement???

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Shhhh don't tell dave he seems edgy lol

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:35 pm

johnnybag-a-bass

Shhhh don't tell dave he seems edgy lol

I thought you were serious about the four lbs thing earlier I was so upset I started staggering around my office -of course I was grippin my chest at the time like FRED G SANFORD on his way to meet 'Lizbeth'hahahahahahahahahaha

personally I like the phrase "criminaliens" hahahahahahaa It's really not a matter of "getting caught" it's a matter of GOOD THINKING---let enough people end up in a local intensive care units with pcb poisoning---they'll get out to their communities that it's BAD VOODOO and or a whole hell of alot of 'em will be sick regularly and not know why? SAD REALLY

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:03 pm

River,

Coal fired power plant emissions and highway runoff do more to contaminate new england waterways then fishing with lead. I'm not saying it isn't toxic but where do think all the mercury in the water comes from?

Then there is the hidden danger in all the antibiotics and hormones (birth control) circulating in the waterways. Call it Silent Spring 2 the Amphibian Apocalypse.

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:04 pm

thorn168

River,
Coal fired power plant emissions and highway runoff do more to contaminate new england waterways then fishing with lead. I'm not saying it isn't toxic but where do think all the mercury in the water comes from?
Then there is the hidden danger in all the antibiotics and hormones (birth control) circulating in the waterways. Call it Silent Spring 2 the Amphibian Apocalypse.

My old man was a steel worker he in mass for 40 yrs ...show me a coal fire plant left in Massachusetts...you'll be looking for a while I can assure you...my harp player in the band ---his father was metalurgist for Wyman Gordon...for YEARS ...hasn't been coal fired since the 60's ...but if you find one ...I'll go check it out, I live in a stones throw from the former USS Steel right her in good ol' Worcester a site where my aunts and uncles worked for decades....it's a freakin WALMART now ...bottom line ....DO THE RIGHT THING

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:17 pm

This is always a fun topic. As far as the lead ban, I'm pretty sure its all about the waterfowl. The following site has some interesting stuff at the end about loon deaths due to lead toxicosis.

http://www.tufts.edu/vet/loons/index.html

As far a water pollution, remember a couple of decades ago when you heard a lot about acid rain. Well the clean air act of 1990 along with a host of technological advances have really squashed this. The reason that the northeast suffered from acid rain wasnt because of powerplants/factories in this area as much as those in Ohio, Illinois, Pennyslvania, etc. In those states it became common practice to build your smoke stack crazy high which sends SOx and NOx into the atmosphere where the jet streams catches it and delivers all the "goods" to new england. Fortunately things have changed and water quality has greatly improved.

As for the mercury/pesticides/etc in the lakes that result in MA posting a fish advisory, this can definitley be attributed to unregulated companies abusing the local bodies of water (mercury is also contained in coal exhaust). Did they actually go pour gallons of mercury into the lakes? No but waste from companies that use mercury containing devices (medical community/neon lights) if not properly disposed of gets buried at your local landfill and subsequently into your water. Regulation along with testing/monitoring over the last many decades has definetly helped this.

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:03 pm

NICE ! MAD DOG you da' man dude !Look me up my e-mail is THE BLAST FURNACE been t western pa 3 times over the past 25 yrs LOVE PITTSBURGH ...but in realty you are absolutely on the money with this tufts article !As a metal worker and the son of a metal worker who was also the son of a metal worker(see a pattern guys?) I'm very keen on this new 'system'
I must boast working in an engineering firm that built flux recovery equipment for high steel structure our main client was LINCOLN WELDERS ...there really is very little I don't know about metal industries...almost every job I've had for the past 24 yrs has been about METAL including a couple METAL bands hahhaaaa---no wonder me n Jay Wallace get along here ...

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:35 pm

I took a look at the link that maddog has posted and I would like to dispute some of there "facts".

In the 1st graph titled "causes of mortality of adult loons"

[/img]http://www.tufts.edu/vet/vet_common/images/loon/adult.jpg[img]

Fishing gear accounts for less then 10% of the fatalities in adult loons
Confirmed lead toxicosis is less then 30%
Suspected lead toxicosis is less then 20%

In the next two graphs for chicks and immature loons the mortality rate from fishing gear & lead toxicosis is even lower.

Yet

"Almost half (44%) of the dead and dying breeding loons submitted to the Wildlife Clinic at Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University in North Grafton, Massachusetts suffered from lead poisoning. Virtually all of this is from eating lead fishing gear."

How do they come up with this conclusion? Furthormore even once lead is removed from the fishing tackle the birds are still going to get tangle up with hooks, fishing line and non lead weights.

Seems like a slippery slope to me.
[/img]

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:32 pm

site:the endangered species act is as formal a set of documents as you can possible get in fish and wildlife 'Thorny" should really read those docs. in entirety before breaking out those "minor" statistics...if 'you' can't understand that "man's" effects should be 0% on a mammal species like a loon or in the case of the upper Quabbin an eagle I can no longer debate this with 'you' ...
I grew up with a kid who became a research scientist at Tufts in Grafton ...and in ALL SORTS of symbiotic ways his research(which includes wildlife & live stock) helps to contribute to AIDS research...
@ least know your own footprint because this is a common sense issue over statistics --Now if you'll excuse me I hafta watch Shawn Thonrton Throttle Boll from The blue jackets ----and no this ain't OVA hahahahahaha

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:12 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links