any of you serious largemouth guys use these plugs. i got wind of them from friend who says the 9 inch light rainbow trout and perch pattern is his go to plug. just taking a pole here. the small plug runs about 2 oz and the large over 3 oz i believe. those are saltwater surf fishing size plugs and can't believe something that big would be used in freshwater. i figure everything would get spooked and run away the second something that big lands in the water. regardless, i'll probably pick up a couple. just want to here other testimonials.

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:05 pm

I imagine that you would need a 7 foot fast action rod with a bait caster spooled up with a heavy braid. I don't know how you could make a "Delicate" presentation by casting a lure that heavy. It seems more like a trolling lure then a casting lure IMO.

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:26 pm

I have a set-up just for big swimbaits and the MS Slammer is definately a Big Bass lure that produces some vicious attacks. I have a 7 inch frog pattern and 9 inch perch pattern MS, I also have a variety of other branded swimbaits ranging from 6-10 inches with trout, shiner and bass patterns. These are not cheap though...anywhere from $25-$50 for the plugs I have. I throw them on a 7 foot medium heavy rod with 40lb braid on a heavy duty spinning reel. I find my best success has come at night using them- either walking them on the surface or cranking them a couple feet below. Generally you won't find an abundance of strikes but the ones you do get will be serious!!! Good luck.

Posted Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:50 pm

stratos offers up some excellent slammer advice here:

http://www.mafishfinder.com/phpBB2/a-windy-monday-in-s-e-mass-t5141.html

Posted Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:54 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links