new to the site here. have been trying to get back into freshwater bass fishing after year of striper fishing.

general question. does anyone know what the bass at spy pond are keyed in on (crayfish imitation, worms, baitfish)?? and any color preference??

i was there this am and saw a big school in about 2 feet of water bobbing up and down. threw the whole box at them, but only able to get 1 take on a yellow/ white rapala J9.

any tips on lures and color preference for this spot would be appreciated. may go back tonight and try some green pumkin tubes and green pumkin senkos.

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am

if your talking about arlington,i've fished a few times.caught fish on worms,senkos,and spinnerbaits.we fished from a boat.if your fishing from shore i don't have much input for you.

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:16 pm

spypond is my home water. grew up in arlington.

always did well with spinners and rapalas. never go wrong with dark senkos.

however, spy has a pretty substantial tiger muskie population, so using bass lures that also give you a shot at those guys is what works for me. again, spinners and jerk baits.

i landed a muskie there as recent as this past spring. small guy at about 20".

biggest tiger muskie caught in massachusetts in 2010 was taken out of spy pond. 16 lbs 5oz.

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Can you ice fish spy pond?

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:45 pm

bassstinger

Can you ice fish spy pond?

Yes. I wouldn't count on catching too many tigers though, don't hear about too many coming out of there. Maybe one over the whole season. The 16 pounder that Unbob wrote about was the only report of a tiger that year...

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:41 pm

thanks for the feedback. seems like a good crowd here compared to other online fishing forums.

Posted Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:13 pm

americanspirit

thanks for the feedback. seems like a good crowd here compared to other online fishing forums.

It's a very good group of guys, that will give you endless tips and unselfish and GOOD advice. Gotta use your head though and keep the "Where is your secret spot?" questions down to a minimum. Even then some may private message you though and tell you.

I have fished Spy over the years and if you are forced to fish from land, the Route 2 side has always produced well. Senkos and spinners worked best for me and many others as well. By boat you have everywhere you can go and check for yourself, but I've done good from Route 2, back to the condominiums on the side. Welcome aboard!

Posted Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Also, if you can see the bass, they can usually see you. That may be the problem. I've had a similar situation at another pond. I was literally hitting them with my senko and nothing.

Posted Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:55 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links