So, this is my first season bass fishing and such and the past 2 weeks I've tried my hand at new ponds in my area(Hampden) or close to my area. And I just can't seem to..locate the fish I guess is the easiest way to describe it. I've had my luck at a few places, mainly Cape Cod ponds, and around here I've gotten a few decent ones mainly dinks tho if I get quantity.

For example, this weekend I am going to go to the Oxbow Pond (http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/habitat/maps/ponds/pond_maps_cvd.htm). If you guys were planning on going here for the first time, where would you start/go first? The access on the bottom right is the free ramp so that's where I'll start. I also just have a 12 ft with a 34 lb trolling, if you wanna account for time/travel once on water. Thanks for any input, I'm slowly getting the gist of the fishing scene, next season it should be a lot more productive.

Posted Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:54 pm

i'd start with the shallow water right next to the access. Then i'd fish the area where the Monhan river flows into the pond...current entering a pond is great for fish lining up and waiting for food to come to them. But generally, look for shallow coves as the water temps start dropping with the rains.

Posted Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:20 pm

That's my home pond. The shore line across from Hulberts Pond is pretty good for largemouth and pike. I've caught a few smallmouth in the no wake boating lane. With the exception of that no wake lane, the whole place is pretty much full of weeds. Scooby is right about the mouth of the Manhan, especially if they already did the fall stocking. All the rainbow trout will be flowing into the pond.

Colorado blade spinnerbaits, senkos, and lizards are what I have the best luck with.

Posted Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:53 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links