Hey everyone, I know that catfish aren't a popular fish to catch in Massachusetts. But, I was wondering where I can go to catch channel catfish around the Westford, Chelmsford, and Groton area. The only spot I know is the Merrimack river. Does anyone know of any other spots beside the merrimack river that I can catch channel catfish. I didn't have any luck at the merrimack river fishing for channel catfish for the whole summer. I couldn't find any other places around my area ( like around 10 to 15 miles ). The reason why I want to try to catch one of these fishes, is because I've never caught one before, and i heard they put up a pretty good fight. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You Very Happy

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:46 pm

I've heard catfish like hotdogs. Here's the "best bet" for channel cats.
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/fishing/best_bets/best_bets_catfish.htm#item2

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:02 pm

hot dogs, chicken livers and cut bait. for cut bait, you need to catch fresh native fish from the body of water your fishing (everywhere has sunfish) and cut it up into thirds. fish it on the bottom with a circle hook. the merrimack is loaded with larger catfish (mostly white catfish) I have caught most on hot dogs and cutbait ( I fish at night for them in the dead of summer)

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Thank you, for the advice, I'll have to try the hot dog method, it sounds like a good catfish tactic to use.

Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:42 pm

charles river is full of them too
as soon as the sun is gone

i catched them on strawberries they go nuts for that - but i guess they suck up everything that does not taste like mudl and is on the ground
biggest one was 4+ lbs

Posted Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:49 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links