Hey so I have a 50 lb thrust trolling motor and I need a new battery. I didn't know what option was the best. Do I want high amp and high cranking amp? Is the higher the better as in duration and strength?

Thanks.

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:08 pm

I don't know about trolling motors, but I know a little bit about electricity. You're dealing with current, measured in amps. Current is how much electricity is flowing, like water through a pipe. Current is pulled by the device, and the more work the motor is doing, the more current it will pull from the battery. So you want a battery that can put out as much current as the motor can demand under its heaviest load.

I found this online:

When replacing trolling motor batteries you need to know that a 12 volt system requires a minimum of 1.1 to 1.2 amps per pound of thrust. A 24 volt system requires .85 to .95 amps per pound of thrust. And a 36 volt system requires .5 to .55 amps per pound of thrust.

http://www.fishin.com/articles/RickMcferrin/trollingbatteries.htm

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:13 pm

You want a "deep cycle" battery. You can go online and find the nearest DELCO VOYAGER dealer to you and buy the biggest one they sell. Then you don't have to read the rest of this.

If you choose option 2 keep reading. A deep cycle battery is different then a typical "starting" battery you find in cars and trucks. The deep cycle version allows you to draw it down and recharge it many times over. It's plates and thicker to withstand the constant charge and discharge. It also puts out lower cold cranking amps but has a higher reserve amp( how many hours it will hold up before draining down and losing power) capacity. Basically Deep cycle batteries were built for things that run long periods of time on a battery like a trolling motor or a golf cart.
You can get a deep cycle battery at sears, walmart, kmart or you can go more specialized and go to a marine store. Not all batteries are created equal. Some require maintainace( adding DISTILLED water a few times a year)like the sears brand and the wal mart brand and some are maintainance free like A C DELCO VOYAGER. IMO The Delco Voyager is the way to go. A little more up front price wise but they will outlast the sears and walmart brands.
There are different size batteries too. 24 series, 27 series and 31 series. the higher the number the bigger the battery in size and weight and the higher reserve amps.
The biggest mistake people make with batteries is not properly charging them and keeping them charged and stored. You must charge your battery asap when you are done with it for the day. Do not leave it in a state of discharge for days or weeks on end. This will shorten a batteries life quickly. Do not overcharge your battery. This will "cook" them and shorten life. If they are going to sit and be stored for an extended period ( a month or more especially in the cold months, it is best to find a cool, not cold place and to spot charge them once a month because they will discharge some just sitting there. If you buy a battery that requires mainatainance then you should remove the caps on top and check the water levels each season (spring, summer, fall and winter) The water level should be above the lead plates, ideally up to the top of the inside of the battery leaving only a 3/4- 1 inch od space. Use ONLY DISTILLED water. it can be bought at walmart or your local super market. Tap water has minerals in it and those minerals are bad for your battery and will shorten its life.
If you go out and buy a regular starting battery you will be sorry.

Last edited by stratos1966 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 am

Good info Stratos! Cool

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:44 am

Tractor Batteries work excellent as well lol all though i would still suggest a deep cycle battery due to they are made to drain and charge drain and charge drain and charge!

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 am

I have a 31 series I bought at bass pro. 105 amp hours + reserve. My motor draws 30 amps on top speed (motorguide 46 pro) so around 3.5 hours of non stop use on top speed constant. I've gone stop and go for a solid 8 hrs and still had enough power to get back to the ramp. Paid 120$ for it new.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:05 pm

Also, from my intel, Marine batteries have a better shock rating which for a cartopper, not a big deal. But if you are out there going 30+ mph on the water and cutting through wakes, it very well could.

Not mentioned above but works perfectly in conjunction with what Stratos is saying, if you are using a crappy charger, on board or in your garage, you are doing your battery an injustice. Crappy chargers = inconsistent charge rates (over the life of the charger), not as great finishing rates (ie topping your battery out so that as the battery ages, it will take a "fuller" charge). Look up battery charger on wikipedia and the term smart charger is explained. Does it matter as much with Lb-Acid (vs LiPO, NiMH, etc)? Maybe. Recharging immediately after full use is important to prevent sulfation as is maintaining electrolyte level.

As for particular batteries, several top brands exist and in this realm, I think you get what you pay for. Chargers, I use a dual pro onboard charger and once again, probably get what you pay for.

Question for everyone, does anyone have an Optima battery and are they all they are cracked up to be?

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm

maddog

Question for everyone, does anyone have an Optima battery and are they all they are cracked up to be?

From everyone I know that has them or had them they are not worth the 2x price tag. If you look in all the bass bass boats out there I bet more then 50% are running AC Delco's and the other 50% are running the other dozens of brands.
Interstae batteries are a middle of the pack battery. Not a bad battery but not one of the best either. In reality there are only 4-5 battery makers in the US. They then sell them to all the brands out there and are sold under different names. The trick is to find the best manufacturer and stick with their brands.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:07 pm

If you are looking for a great battery and to save some $$, call Interstate Batteries about thier blems. You can go to thier website:

http://corporate.interstatebatteries.com/distributors/

Find your local distributor and call them to see if they have any available. Most blems are batteries that were returned as defects by people who couldnt tie thier own shoes. Some are shipped to distributors with the sticker upside down or scratched. They cant sell them as new, so thier sold as "blems". Most come with a warranty and range from $30-$50. For 1/2 the $$ you can get the best battery with a warranty.

Posted Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:50 pm

you gotta get a deep cycle, have to spend alittle money

Posted Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:13 pm

marine deep cycle 120 $ and you will be all set
i have mine since two years a full charge is enuff for a 8 hrs trip on the lake with non stop on and off

Posted Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links