I wanna do some fishing before the storm, but I'm heading up to Brookline/Boston to the girlfriends for the weekend/Countryfest. Any good shore fishing spots within say...10-15minutes of Brookline that I could drag the girlfriend too tonight before we get rained out? Thanks for any input.

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:15 am

Brookline Reservoir. Not a lot of big bass in there and it's hard to get to them this time of year from the shore but they're in there and they also stock it with trout. I've caught a bunch of 2 pounders from shore and the biggest was 3.5. Haven't been there in a year but I'm sure it's the same as always. Plenty of parking, and you can walk around the entire place. Just watch out for all of the people walking around.

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:27 am

You might want to check out Crystal Lake in Newton Center. I've never fished there but I see lots of Trips on MAFF with people having success there. Depending upon where you are in Brookline, it could be as little as a 5 min drive.

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am

There's not a lot of shore access there and its only good shallow early and late. Tons of swimmers too.

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:10 am

Samf, have you taken a boat out on Crystal Lake? I found some literature online that said cartoppers and electric only.

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:13 am

You are 100% right. And there's not really any public parking around the area only side streets. I'm not exaggerating about the legions of old people swimming all day long where it says "no swimming." With all the other places around the area, it's not worth going here if you have a boat. Yes, there are a few big bass in there but there plenty of other good spots around the area.

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Sam, what other areas? I was thinking about hitting Crystal tonight, but would like to try a new place too.

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Also, have you hit Hammond Pond at any point recently? I used to pull bass out of there when I was a kid, but it's covered in weeds and I don't have a boat anymore...

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 pm

people seem to have the most success early or late at crystal from the shore. hammond is a filthy mudhole. i've considered it but heard that there are mostly small bass in there and right now it's probably all choked up. might be worth a shot with all of the access. i'd be interested in hearing how it is. i would continue hitting the charles. try waltham. it's way better than brighton. the old watch factory stretch would be great for you at night.

Posted Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks, Sam... Will definitely check it out!

Posted Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:55 am

I do the majority of my fishing on the Waltham stretch of the Charles. If you are looking for someone to show you the area, just let me know. I just picked up a 12' jon boat but I need another person to load/unload it. I'd be happy to take you with me. PM me if you are interested.

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:47 am

Definitely interested! Always into checking out a new spot!

Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:36 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links