The subject came about today through one of the fine anglers here in the GREAT STATE of Massachusetts posting a trip here on
M A F F®™and it got me thinkin' which usually leads me to do some research..yea I'm a NERD...so I do S*** like that. Let me first start by saying I know what I'm about to type here will be controversial and it's intended for the betterment of ALL involved or who'd be willing to take part in my "experiment".
I read a little about the species first(Wow is this thing ever seriously destructive).States like Florida and Maryland have been and continue to be VERY interested in getting these things OUTTA HERE! I then looked at the local commentary.1st of all there is very little evidence of them other than stories on sites like ours,and there have been around 3 or 4 fully identified at Harvard(That I can find anyways).There was an instance at a pond in Shrewsbury(A town I lived in for 14 years) that had a rash of them(deemed eradicated)Site:the USGS reports
So onto the controversy! I read in the local comments that it would be great if "someone" posted a bounty on this species.And the writer also suggested that animal rights groups would not like it and that's why no-one wanted to do it.So HERE IT IS. ANYONE who posts a dead snake head on this site and can get even one other angler to back 'em up.I'll drop ship "you" your favorite favorite rubber worm!Howz that? fair enough?
I await your photos-LONG LIVE BASS FISHING (Which could dis-appear if this thing takes hold in the ecology)B.A.S.S. over P.E.T.A any day boyz

Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:32 pm

If one ever defiles the end of my line, it will find the business end of the fillet knife always in my car...

Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:36 pm

There was a guy after the Attitash tournament, he was passing out pamphlets on invasive species. It was plants, milfoil etc. It also included Snakeheads. It says to freeze them and call fish and game.

Just kill them at all costs, these things are bad news

Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Do you think they taste like chicken?

Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:49 pm

ha ha I get the joke, but seriously I have heard they taste incredible.

Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Charlie Moore was eating them on an episode of his new show...looked like a good time.

Posted Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:16 pm

charlie moore would eat charles river white fish Rolling Eyes

snakeheads for the grinder bwoi

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:51 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPGmvemG6fk

this is why we need to kill snakeheads or eat them

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 am

this things is DESTRUCTIVE

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:05 am

who wants to bet that little punk let that snakehead go in a lake/river somehwere where caring for it got old???

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm

Snake Heads confirmed in Baldpate in Boxford. Heard 2 guys this season talking about it.....My brother in law called me and said his buddy was fishing and caught this "wierd fish....that looked kinda like a pickeral."

I haven't seen it for myself, but must guys lie about catching lunkers , not these things...

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:42 am

wow....it looks like it just killed the bass to kill it, a pike would have at least eaten the whole bass. If i catch one of those things, its getting thrown into the woods, hopefully becoming a meal for one of our many types of four legged animal dwellers.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 am

scoobystas

wow....it looks like it just killed the bass to kill it, a pike would have at least eaten the whole bass. If i catch one of those things, its getting thrown into the woods, hopefully becoming a meal for one of our many types of four legged animal dwellers.

just kill it. they have small "legs" and can breathe air. so throwing it in the woods it may find its way into another body of water. Just remove the head.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:24 am

This fish was on an episode of River monsters. They prefer habitats much like bass and pike, however they will kill anything they see just to kill it. They wont even eat a bite of the animal they kill unless they are hungry. Most of their kills they rip into shreds and then leave it alone.

The slam topwater baits that are skipping across the water on fast retrieves (Note they are going out of their way to kill your bait) so they are fairly easy to catch.....however....they will only hit a bait once. So if they miss it....they wont come back for it.

They dont have small legs if I remember correctly but their body shape allows them to "slide" very poorly on land. Again all this was done on river monsters, they took one put it on the ground and it could barely move. They can survive for long periods of time outside the water due to the fact they are air breathers.

They were first brought over here (illegally) because they are good eating. It is believed that they were released into lakes and streams by the people trying to reproduce them so they could fish them instead of ship them in.

This fish in every state is a KILL ON SITE fish. Never release a snake head and do not keep it alive for any means. Sadly this usually means a knife, rock, or something readily available to bash its face in. Leaving it out of water does it little harm as i stated before they breathe air.

If you manage to catch one kill it. =D

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:10 am

I caught one of them at the oxbow ct river.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:53 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links