Ok folks, fall is just around the corner! What do you change as the days get shorter and cooler? What lures do you use and what techniques?

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:32 am

Swimbaits, herring and trout imitations in Sept and Oct. As Nov and December roll around I switch to spinnerbaits ( slow rolled), jerkbaits, shallow cranks and keep throwing the Jig.

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Any advice for offshore? I don't have a boat anymore...

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Try to find the sunfish nests..they continue to spawn almost all year just moving deeper. The nests are usually in the same area where they were in the spring, just deeper. Last year I bagged some nice bass by locating sunfish in about 6-7 foot of water, easily reachable from shore...there were some nice bass just hanging around/feeding on them. I basically fished smaller baits till I hit some decent sunfish, 2 or 3 in a row for instance then switched to large baits in greens/reds to mimic and gave it a few goes.

I bagged this one on a rainy day late sept using this approach. The nice thing about it as well, for those interested is that the bigger sunfish tend to be found this way as well. I've managed some decent bluegill the size of my hands and bigger this way.

Posted Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:21 am

Erik that thing is a monster...looks like it at a baseball!

As for the fall, I find myself basically fishing the same way throughout the whole year, a lot of senkos, spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I do use suspending crank baits a little more in the spring and fall. As the weeds start to die in ponds and lakes, stay away from the brown ones, as they don't hold oxygen anymore and won't attract baitfish and therefore bigger fish. Try to find the ones that are still green.

Posted Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:43 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links