I have a few lures that I would like to use but can't because I'm using 40lb Braided line on my bait caster . I would like to use 1/16oz - 1/2oz
lures. Should I look at a Mono or Fluorocarbon line witch line will have less memory ? Would 8lb or 10lb line be ok? Would these handle a
5-6lb Bass?

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:32 pm

I would think braid would be fine. easier to cast. just tie on a light leader or mono or floro. I do this and don't have many issues with finiky fish. also lets me have more ways of fishing different things with the same combo by changing out leaders.

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 pm

i've been using the seuger invisx fluorocarbon mainline as leader. I tie on about 5-6ft of it with a modified albright knot to the fireline mainline. Works great, I really like the way this fluoro handles. it's a bit stiff, but it ties great knots and i've landed some decent bass 4+ recently without any issues.

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 pm

If you're going to throw lures/jigs as light as 1/16 oz you may want to invest in some spinning gear, maybe a med/light to light rod. Theses rods are usually rated for this weight, and with the right reel and light line you can better cast and handle this light weight. You then can do braid with fluro leader, or straight mono or fluro.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:58 pm

It's all about how you set your drag. There was just a story in the news about a guy in Austrailia who was fishing for something smaller on 10lb test in the ocean when he hooked AND LANDED a 500 POUND Tiger Shark.. This is an extream example but my point is if you loosen your drag you should be able to land any 5lb bass on 10 lb test

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:25 pm

spinning gear is the way to go. I use 5.5 and 6 ft light rods with 10 lb power pro. Most of the water I fish is not clear so I don't bother with a leader. A light drag will land 4 and 5 lb bass on this setup all the time. You won't be using this in cover but in mostly open water its a lot of fun.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Bass Pro Shop has a Trigger ML 5'6" 1/16-1/2oz lures Pole that is on sell until 9/5 for $30 an planning on getting the Black Zebco Pro. with 10lb Cajun Red Line. I had good catch with the Zebco Delta Series Reel with the 10lb Cajun Red Line pull in some nice 3-5lb Bass , But handed it down to my 11yr son when I bought my Bait caster.

Posted Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:49 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links