This could be an epic weekend. I have fished just before a few tropical storms/ hurricanes hit Mass. The fishing was awesome with LOTS of fish especially just before the storm hit. The fish were VERY aggresive. So get out there if you can. Just use common sense and be careful especially Sunday afternoon when Irene is supposed to be close.

Posted Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:57 am

I went out to for stripers before and during that tornado warning... I was fishing off a pier in Southie. Scariest excursion ever. Huge lightning grounding all around me, almost getting pushed over the pier into deep, deep, wavy water. Caught some cod and stripers though, nothing huge, but was definitely an exhilarating experience!

I think I can handle a smaller body of freshwater for this upcoming storm. Pretty excited for it!

Posted Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:12 am

Dude if lightning is striking down *anywhere* near you, put down your friggin' rod and get out of the weather. No fish is worth dying for, and you're standing out on an open pier with a giant, highly conductive lightning rod in your hand.

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:19 am

Agreed I usually get off the water when i see thunder storms rolling in over the mountains.

Although I will say that fishing before big storms does give you some good fish!

It's like they go into "panic mode" like people do before big storms. i.e. Raiding grocery stores for supplies and canned food before big snow storms.

I think fish do the same thing only they eat as much as they can thinking that the storm is coming and feeding may become slow for a few days.

Idk just what i think they do lol.

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:55 am

Caught a bunch of 12-14" bass today. Best one was 19-20". Caught a feisty little pickerel too.

Posted Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:03 pm

I went out Saturday morning from about 6-1030am. It was actually a very quiet/slow morning, maybe due to the nights getting a little cooler. Zero to none fish activity on the surface. Anyway, I was hoping for fast action, but it definitely wasn't there yet. I did manage 7-8 bass, biggest only mid-2, and I lost what would of been by far the biggest fish of the day as the bass went under my kayak and jumped on the other side and threw the hook Mad ...it was hard to get over, that was the one Big Bite I was looking for....The fishing was getting better as the morning went on, but unfortunately I had to leave.

Posted Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:10 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links