I use my senko's whacky style.I use the o-rings because it keeps the worms from ripping as much from the hook.You can move the hook on the worm like someone else said,but you still get rips in the worm.I just move the o-ring to give it a different fall.I also use the black and red o-rings.I use the red ones to try and match the colors of the worms.I also will put on 2 or more o-rings to add weight for faster fall.
Since the worms are so expensive,using the o-rings saves the worms from ripping so you don't go through the worms as fast.The whacky tool is the way to go to put on the o-rings.You can put on the o-ring without the tool by just wetting the worm and o-ring and sliding it on the worm.I also will stretch the worm sometimes to break up the solid color of the worm and give it the used and abused look.I find using the correct line is key to fishing the senko's.Certain lines don't
fall as good as others with these worms.I use the yo-zuri smoke colored line in 10lb test.Found this line to work the best.Fishing with the senko's is also about the technique.I have fished with some of my friends who also use them,but their technique isn't quite what it should be and i usually out fish them,not bragging Smile,just seems the technique is key.I use the gamakatsu 1/0 or 2/0
hooks.I also use the flourescent colored walleye hooks and match these to the color of the worm.Green hook with green pumpkin/watermelon,green pumpkin,green laminate.Orange hook with orange worm,red hook with red shad and so on.I sometimes will put the plastic rattle inserts in the worm to give them some sound and more weight if the bite doesn't seem to be on.Senkos are my go to worms on a regular basis.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 am

I love senkos. I prefer them rigged Texas and Texas Twist (http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/senko-fishing.shtml). I feel like it gives you more ways to present the bait. Whacky is a rig that I go to when all else fails, and more often than not it produces. It just destroys the worm so fast...

Let's be real. If there's one downside to these things, it's that after hooking a single fish, if it's been hit hard enough, it's pretty much rendered useless. Even if you take a lighter to them, they don't go back together well, probably due to the huge salt content...

I've definitely gone through an entire pack in one trip... Outfishes any other plastic in my opinion, however...

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 am

best place to buy the O-rings??

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:33 am

This place? http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11501&zenid=sr13nta600cc0li70vh7q5vgj0

A friend gave me some a while ago and they looked like those rings that go in the tip of your rod...

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:39 am

I get my O-rings at bass pro shop.They also have the whacky tool for the O-rings.They have black and red ones.

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:26 am

I got and used "O" rings for the first time last week and went an entire day (about 10 hours) using only 2 senkos. The only reason I had to change the first one was because I was catching so many good fish, they ripped the heck out of it eventually.

http://www.mafishfinder.com/fished-friday-morning--hot-sunny-day-four-lunkers-4751-trip.html

When it did finally break, I still had half a Senko on. I am sold on the little suckers and using the "wacky tool" made it simple to rig. Definately worth the investment of less than $10, to save bags of baits at much more $! Got mine at Bass Pro Shops!

Last edited by pocketfisherman on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:49 am

yup its a great tool...you can make one yourself thought...check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVbdC2dJTNg

I bought one from natick outdoor store for $6 bucks but if you don't have time to get to store etc, there's always a pen around!

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:57 am

I have yet to actually see this tool.

I go into Dicks/walmart/and local fishing/hunting stores and have yet to find one. I fear i may have to break down and buy one online.

I normally do not have a problem with worms ripping wacky rigged, rather when its Texas rigged weedless/weightless. when i get bit by baitstealers (sunfish, perch, small aquatic animals!) It rips the hook out of the soft plastic and pulls the worm to the bottom of hte hook.

Would This tool help in any way with this or is it just for when your Wacky riggin'?

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:41 am

Gary Yamamotos or nothing -something about his composite makeup makes these damn things irresitable to bass-they're like crack I swear --- i've used them all season and almost all the fish I landed was on the Gary's - I know a GREAT place---in of all towns leicester ma called D&G Bait---lowest prices you'll EVER find on them-roughly 2/3's of the price of BPS&Cabela's
I think O'Ring ---- I think I just rebuilt the top half of my 350 big block hahaha aaaa

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 pm

I beg everyone who uses senkos to crush the barb on your hook every time you fish this bait. The bass are taking and swallowing this bait instantly resulting in alarming numbers of gut hooked fish. I don't care if you are using a circle hook , a drop shot hook or any other hook. CRUSH the barbs for the fishes and our resorces sake.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 pm

stratos1966

I beg everyone who uses senkos to crush the barb on your hook every time you fish this bait. The bass are taking and swallowing this bait instantly resulting in alarming numbers of gut hooked fish. I don't care if you are using a circle hook , a drop shot hook or any other hook. CRUSH the barbs for the fishes and our resorces sake.

Like with pliers? How do you do this? cause i have gut hooked a few I have however gotten them out due to some quick thinking pliers and of course the body of water lol.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:28 pm

I posted a message about gut hooked fish a while ago.Don't know if anyone read it.I use a technique that seems to work without major damage to the fish.I hate leaving the hook in.I use a small pair of scissors.Pull up on the line,this stretches the skin that the hook is in,use your finger or thumb to hold the line against the fishes bottom lip with one hand,put the small scissors in through the gills with the other hand,cut the skin just below the hook.I have been using this technique for a while.It doesn't do much damage to the fish.It is beter than leaving the hook in.If you have a fishing partner,then have them pull up on the line and you can cut the skin.I have put fish in the livewell to see how they do after cutting the hook out.It doesn't seem to effect them at all.The skin will heal much faster than the hook rusting out.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:38 pm

I know its been posted on here a few times but for those of you who want to be able to reuse your plastics, buy a bottle of Mend It and you will never be more thankful. It works great on most brands of soft plastics. Not so great on that ElazTech stuff (but most things dont). You can get it at TackleWarehouse. It does dry out and get kind of thick. My last bottle lasted awhile (April-July).

As for gut hooks, that can ruin a day on the water quick for me. The scissors trick is great though but make sure you have sharp scissors. Although crushing the barb will help, I think having a sensitive rod and full concentration on your line can eliminate a lot of gut hooks. On those days when they are smashing a wacky (and swallowing it immediately), then by all means have a barbless hook ready to go but when they are nipping away, the need is not as pronounced.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 pm

eepthebassraider

stratos1966

Like with pliers? How do you do this? cause i have gut hooked a few I have however gotten them out due to some quick thinking pliers and of course the body of water lol.

Yes a pair of needle nose pliers. Just crush the barb flat with the pliers. Gamakatsu's crush. Owners will snap right off.
If

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Will do Stratos! Also i have never tried using scissors trick. I have gone pretty much what you explained but with a pair of pliers and no cutting. Of course that does more damage then just a straight cut but the fish lived well enough.

I will remember to buy a sharp pair of small scissors. Thanks for the advice in all this!

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links