So I was out fishing a Plymouth bog pond yesterday. Fishing was slow in the morning then it got hot for a few hours as some clouds rolled in and the breeze picked up. After a couple hours it died again. I had gone maybe 30-45 minutes without a bite and my attention was fading. I pitch into a pocket in some weeds, lift, drop ,lift, drop all while looking around at the trees, birds and landscape. I lift again with the intention of pulling the bait out and pitch to another spot when what could have possibly been my new personal best ( currently 7.8 lbs) grabbed my bait at the top and turned. The line went tight I pulled her to the top of the weeds she came out of the pocket I pitched in, shook her head and spit my bait at me. I never got a hookset into her because I let my self get distracted and I was not focused on that I was doing. I got a good look at her and I am guessing it was an 8+ fish. I was done at that point. I fished around the area for 15 minutes and even lamely attempted to throw back in the same spot even though I knew I had no shot at her biting again.
Moral of the story. Always be focused and pay attention to what you are doing. Always be ready because you never know when....

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:35 am

Great reminder of how quickly things can change in the blink of an eye. You'll get em next time!

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:33 am

Sadly this has happened to me. Although it was my g/f on a cell phone not leaving me alone while I was fishing!

I mean its tough to set a hook one handed when your texting.

I've also lost a phone in the water because of this lol.

Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:28 pm

I definitely notice myself losing concentration at times. At least I am now getting to the point where I eventually realize it and can do something about it. Little things like not texting or eating/drinking with a line in the water, or bigger things like stopping what I am doing and collecting myself if I notice a lack of concentration. It's hard, though. After 6 hours of slow river fishing in the sun, cleaning the trolling motor of weeds every 3-5 minutes, it's very easy to get fatigued/distracted.

Rich, sorry about the missed PB fish. It's a sickening feeling when it happens, I can completely relate to just not being in it after that. Fingers crossed that she'll have added half a pound when you do stick her!

Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Man... This happens to me all the time as well. I actually get a lot of things done while I'm fishing. A lot of phone calls for work and what not while I turn my fishing spot into an office...

It's definitely a bummer, but what can you do?

Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:34 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links