catching alot of bullhead lately , what is the best hook to use so as not to have them gut hooked?
Question Question Question Question Question Question Go Fish

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 am

maybe a circle hook? Its supposed to be least likely to be gut hooked. What are you using for bait?

Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:39 pm

night crawlers hitting fish every cast

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:12 am

Better fishing for these guys at night? I've caught a few in the daylight hours but not many.

Also do you fish on the bottom with any weights or just hook and worm?

The few i've caught have not swallowed the hook but i could see tha pain in the ass.

I think there is a plastic thing for getting hooks outta bellies. Dunno how good it works but i've seen em in shops.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 am

When I was a kid I used to get bullhead occasionally on worms hanging from a bobber, and they never gut-hooked. I've caught a couple recently while carp fishing - bread on the bottom. Lipped both of them.

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:06 pm

ya been getting them around dusk just a big old worm on a hook no weight but they all seem to swallow the hook even if i use a 3/0

Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:20 pm

I would try circle hooks...you just reel them in, don't set it, and it sets itself.

If that doesn't work, I know that thing that eepthebassraider was talking about. My dad always called it the "red thing" and we used it all the time when we used to catch fish. it has 2 rounded ends, one small, one large, with a little slot cut out. Basically, stick the hook into the slot and it will give you some leverage to push the hook out and pull it out.

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 am

Circle hooks FTW! I fish for cats at night when the days are oppresive. Hot-dogs on a running rig with a light drag to let them take off. Then just pick up and tighten up on them, hooked in the corner of the mouth every time.

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:10 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links