So I'm going to a lake in NH this weekend that was the subject of a study last week that showed that it is filled with YoY (young of year) Smelt. Which artificial lures will do the best job of emulating smelt? What's the best presentation both for Rainbows and Smallies? This is my third and final try this year to get a trout from this lake and I really really want it!!!

Posted Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:14 pm

you need to fish deep for the trout this time of year. they are looking for cool water and lots of oxygen. if there are lots of smelt, see if you can catch some and put one on a drop-shot type of rig and fish it deep. you will definatly get a trout that way, and if not a huge bass for sure.

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:29 pm

its tough to get the lakers this time of yr without a downrigger or a setup including some sort of weighted planer or diver such as a dipsy diver for trolling. the guys up north have actually been doing real well on the lakers in about 40 ft plus of water. i know of a few guys these past 2 wks who caught more than their fair share of lakers on ossipee and winni.

for what it's worth i normally would say that the best way to get lakers is using one of the popular casting/trolling spoons such as kastmaster or krocodiles. if i was trying to imitate smelt while fishing shallower water for bass i would use any soft plastic bait that was pearl white or some combination including pearl white. the rubber shads such as zoom super fluke or bass assassins in the pearl white have always been a dead ringer for an erratic swimming smelt. good luck. next yr if you want a better shot i would try in late april/early may. you can catch them then in the shallower waters of the bays and harbors and you wont have to worry about running a lure 60 ft deep.

Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:28 pm

Absolutely....100%...skunked. No bass, no trout, not even a nibble. Over three days. Ouch.

Posted Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:31 pm

What lake were you on ????

Posted Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Newfound Lake. Southeastern part.

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:31 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links