Im heading out to Mystic lakes this evening after work for a few hours. Any suggestions as far as upper or lower. I'm feeling the itch to haul in a big cat, any idea what the chances are here with some chicken liver. Are there any big flatheads in the lakes? How is the bass fishing from shore?

Posted Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:22 am

I cant comment on the Catfishing, but I have been there numerous times, Middlepond is a whole lot clearer than Mystic Lake is, I have seen quite a few anglers wading in the shallows either fly fishing for bass, or throwing spinner baits, grubs, ect.

Posted Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:51 am

Bass fishing from shore is pretty good, especially on Lower Mystic Lake and the River. Action has been pretty quiet over the last few weeks however.

Posted Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for the insight guys, I appreciate it. I'll let you know how i fare.

Posted Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:25 pm

A spot that has always been kind to me is where the Lower Mystic drains into the Mystic River. There's a rotary there and you can park on the side of the road. Fish on either side of the bridge and you can get smallmouth and more sunnies than you'd ever want!

Posted Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:06 pm

bcodkind

A spot that has always been kind to me is where the Lower Mystic drains into the Mystic River. There's a rotary there and you can park on the side of the road. Fish on either side of the bridge and you can get smallmouth and more sunnies than you'd ever want!

+1

I have only been to the Mystic Lake area once (about 4 weeks ago) and went exactly where bcodkind is describing. Parked on the street along the river, fished right where the river met the lake, and caught a nice smallmouth and a nice largemouth there.

I remember the largemouth was on an Ocho worm but I forget what I got the Smallie on... maybe it was crankbait... I wish I kept a journal like I was planning on doing this year.

Posted Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:33 pm

I've been there a few times in recent weeks and the action's been pretty slow, but I have managed to pick up four Largemouths in the 1 & 1/2 to 2lb pound range. Three were in the Lake on the Mystic Pkwy side tossing finesse worms at some underwater structure that has consistently held fish this year, the other coming in the Lilypads on the Medford Side of the River at the larger opening about 1/4 mile from the bridge. The Smallmouths have long-since moved to deeper water, but there are also plenty of Carp around.

Posted Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:23 am

i spend quite a bit of time fishing from shore at upper mystic in winchester in the area of the mystic river reservation and memorial beach. i also like to fish where the abjerjona dumps into the mystics (memorial bridge i believe on the mystic valley pkwy in winchester). this area has become my go to spot this season for bass fishing the reason being that a) i live nearby and b) its produced good numbers of fish as well as a few lunkers including one 5 1/4 lb lgmouth and 3 others in the 4 to 4 1/2lb. also the average sized bass here seems to run a bit bigger then many other places and bass in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 lb range are common.

however, like ewhit posted above, the action has slowed tremendously from mid july til this point. just recently in the last couple days has it started to pick up just a bit and like ewhit i would also suggest fishing soft plastics such as a finesse worm or even a senko. fish it very slowly. also 1/4 to 1/2 oz jigs in dark colors (blacks, blues, purples) with some variation of a craw trailer has also been working. the different jig styles dont seem to make a difference as much as the size, color, trailer type, and retrieval speed/method. ive used many styles with success and i dont believe the difference between a hack attack and a pro model finnesse jig is gonna make the difference as much as the things i just mentioned above. you gotta work for these bass the last month or so. good luck

question for bcdokind: where do you park when you fish the mystic river bridge in medford (which actual road). im familiar with the area you are talking about but it seems that everything is posted no parking. i havent checked for a place to park on the nearby side streets though. are you parking in a legal parking area or just kinda winging it?? thx for any help. take care all.

Posted Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:49 pm

ma_fisherman

question for bcdokind: where do you park when you fish the mystic river bridge in medford (which actual road). im familiar with the area you are talking about but it seems that everything is posted no parking. i havent checked for a place to park on the nearby side streets though. are you parking in a legal parking area or just kinda winging it?? thx for any help. take care all.

Take the first exit on the rotary when coming over the bridge (heading downriver essentially.) You can park on the side streets down there, and it's just a short walk back to fishable water.

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:38 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links