Had a good trip today and I finally caught some decent bass. Hit the Agawam river and tried to fish my usual spots but the weeds are so nasty it was fruitless. Lots of tail hits. I saw so much baitfish no wonder they arnt biting. Their full! So after a few hours of moving around and cleaning the trolling motor, blam,a three pound larry! Worked the pads some more, bam, another three pounder. It seems as though the bass are starting to bite for me again. The water has been so warm, they just arnt motivated. Can't wait till it cools off a bit.

Posted Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:12 pm

I just discovered the weedless wedge. It's a prop for Minn Kota trolling motors and it works awesome. It costs about 25 buck and is worth every penny.

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 am

That prop is truly amazing, of course taking into consideration that the trolling motor it is connected to has the juice to cut thru the jungle. went out on my friends Cajun 19 this weekend to Winnicunet and The Nip in Bridgewater, both places are infected with weeds, andI do mean thick, hes got the 72lb 24 volt Minn Kota, besides having to remove the build up from the shaft of the motor we never got bound up, that prop cuts thru the thickest slop with ease.

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 am

Ya Sinista mine is on a 30 pounder and that shreds too. Before the wedge I couldn't move 5 feet without having to pull the motor. I spent back to back tourneys clearing grass more than fishing before I went on the mission to remedy that. I'm a slow learner

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:24 am

Over the winter Im swapping out my Motorguide Bow Mount for the Minn Kota, slowlearnersareus!!!!

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 am

I've been running a weedless wedge on my Minnkota Powerdrive 55# for years now. Best...by far, weedless prop on the market IMO.
Just a quick tip from a long term user, in real heavy slop, I set the motor depth collar so the blades of the prop are just an 1" or 2" below the water and spend almost no time clearing weeds from the housing or shaft, just fishing. The sweeping shape of the prop constantly pulls them off and being that high in the water the weeds cant get wrapped around the shaft. You may have to adjust your depth some to accomodate for wind and wave movement and occasionally it will cavitate at high speed but for plugging through thick matted weeds looking for slobs you cant beat it!

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:17 am

I've been running a weedless wedge on my Minnkota Powerdrive 55# for years now. Best...by far, weedless prop on the market IMO.
Just a quick tip from a long term user, in real heavy slop, I set the motor depth collar so the blades of the prop are just an 1" or 2" below the water and spend almost no time clearing weeds from the housing or shaft, just fishing. The sweeping shape of the prop constantly pulls them off and being that high in the water the weeds cant get wrapped around the shaft. You may have to adjust your depth some to accomodate for wind and wave movement and occasionally it will cavitate at high speed but for plugging through thick matted weeds looking for slobs you cant beat it!

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks Bud!! Great Advice

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:08 am

that prop is even great for a transom mount motor. i recently got one and it's 100% better than the "power" prop which is no more powerful or faster IMO.

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:11 am

I have a 1978 gamefisher trolling motor on the bow of my crawdad. I have the orig weed guard which mounts on the motor housing and it works pretty well. I also have the prop high so the weeds dont build up on the shaft but that is what gets you. It's a real pain. Thanks for the weedless wedge info but they dont have my model and I dont think my motor has the sack to turn into a salad shooter. you might want to check this out. This guy takes a bass boat straight through a weed bed I could walk across with no stalling. It is a bar of some sort that deflects the weeds. Here is the contact
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3ZXpqoBQ78. It's called GEAUXrilla Guard. I havn't tried one but it looks good.

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:26 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links