Hey guys,

I have been getting skunked a lot at my local honey hole this summer (horn pond). The water level stayed up for most of the spring, which I think has caused a lot more weeds to grow in really thick (some spots there are mats in 3-6' of water). An under water hump that would produce some nice fish almost every trip last summer are not this year? Also the water looks murkier too (almost green).

Went out this morning with a friend & he caught 3 fish in 3-8' depth. Nothing huge but, not where I expected to catch em (10-20'). My night fishing trip was also in the same range. The only constant is the water temp 79.5-82*.

Has this happen to anyone before? I know that murky water bass tend to be shallower. Should I be looking in the weeds or stick with deeper water? Confused

Posted Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:23 pm

Weeds.
I've had luck at Horn Pond recently in the absolutely weediest spots you could imagine. Nothing huge, but enough to keep it interesting. The part of the pond that's cut off by the causeway -- take the dirt trail along the shore and cast close in under some of the trees along there by day. You'll shake the skunk off real quick.

What's weird is that even the yellow perch and white perch are close in. I thought they liked deep, cool water. I think the heat wave we had the other week has driven some fish to seek shade rather than depth to escape the heat.

Posted Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 pm

I second that notion. I just landed a nice yellow perch the other day in Lake Wildwood..while fishing a wooley bugger along the lilies in about 2.5 to 3 feet of water. I would not have thought the perch would have been there... It could be an oxygen thing as well...during the day the weeds would be producing some oxygen that may be low over all in the lake, the fish more then likely move out of the weed at night when it stops producing it.

The picture is crap but you get the idea!

Posted Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:22 pm

i live about 5 minutes from horn but dont fish is much for bass in the summer....i usually only fish there in the spring and sometimes fall for trout. I have noticed, however, that bass fishing has slowed down quite a bit for me at some of my usual spots (mystic lakes, concord river, and the charles river in newton and waltham). As recently as mid july i couldnt spend an hour fishing at my favorite spot on upper mystic most mornings at 7 or 8 a.m. without catching at least 2 or 3 quick ones. Now.....well sorry to admit that i have been skunked my last 4 trips there and i have not fared much better at the charles or concord (just a few small ones). The only place i had good luck with recently was the sudbury river bridge on sudbury road. Certainly i remember from past seasons that it gets tough this time of year especially during the warm and bright daylight hours but the inconsistent bite has been holding up even in the early am, dusk, and on some nite trips i have made.

Last yr i had some of my best bass fishing in september right through mid november so at least i think i can look forward to that time of year again. good luck and let me know if you start getting em again. ill be interested hear. take care.

Posted Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:18 am

MA Fish Finder

Social Links