Hey guys.
I've been wanting to try night bass fishin from my boat. Tried a few times from shore with a couple good fish.

Can anyone give me some pointers or tips?

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Top water baits in the shallows. Dark colors. Bug Spray.

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:15 pm

x2 on the bug spray for sure.

If you're fishing with treble hooks, I'd recommend a net.

Any topwater you can fish relatively slow is good. Jigs, spinnerbaits, ribbontail worms are all useful as well.

Fish slow, or be ready for a lot of short strikes.

Shallow flats are good places to fish. The shallow part of points as well.

Use your light as little as possible.

Fish somewhere safe. Stay away from urban ramps if possible, you never know what you'll run into.

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:41 pm

black spinnerbaits with a single colorado blade also work well. If yours has 2, cast it point blank into a tree to remove one of them, hopefully the smaller one. This worked for me, haha.

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 pm

I always fish black jitterbugs and big swimbaits at night, in the shallows, off points and in between docks. Some lakes have rocky bottoms, like Lake Maspenock in spots and that's always a top producer on top water at night. From 8:45-10 is the worst for bugs but sometimes the best to fish, and I also find 11:00 pm -1:00am is a hot time too with fewer bugs due to the cooler temps.

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:56 pm

What about lights on the boat? Is it the law? I thought you need front and rear lights. I've been wondering the same about doing some night fishing with the cartopper. Good advice on the baits too

Posted Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:09 pm

In case you guys hadn't guessed I'd be fishing Horn Pond, I know it very well. Ted haven't you fished it with Kman before at night?
How did you guys do?

As far as light on the boat. I have a camping lantern, head lamp & flash light? Would that do? I've seen fluorescent lights used at night, is that a must?

Is a full moon a must too?

By shallow, is that less than 10' ?

Thanks for the help!

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:14 pm

I was just at horn pond today. Got some perch (white and yellow), sunfish and two small bass.

Let me know how it goes. I will be shore fishing there (no boat) so I am limited in the areas that I can fish from.

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

fishingreek

As far as light on the boat. I have a camping lantern, head lamp & flash light? Would that do? I've seen fluorescent lights used at night, is that a must?

http://www.boat-ed.com/ma/handbook/lights.htm

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:04 pm

i dont do much night fishing other than when im fishing dusk and stay out later a bit....nothing past 930 or 10. My buddy goes out at midnight quite a bit and has some good luck. He just sent me a pic of a 7 lb bass he got around midnite at spot pond. thing was a freakin beast. he got him on a jig w trailer. a black/blue jig which is the color he says he usually has the best luck with. ive been thinkin of getting out there with him some night soon. btw- he fishes from shore.

Posted Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:12 pm

I gotta agree with Volume4130 and angler21, black is the way to go, I use the Black Spinner Bait single Colorado, as well as the Jitterbug ( I got a box of old school jitterbugs I scored from someone who didnt know what they really had, hahahaa) as well as a black on black buzzbait, I like chuggers or poppers as well, night fishing is more of a listen and feel sport, listen for the explosion or sometimes its subtle and all you feel is the line begin to swim away, either way your in for some fun. Generally the Full Moon dictates better fishing, I know in murky or off colored water it helps silhouette the bait better.

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:34 pm

sinista- that pic in your avatar is of an absolute hog. how big was that one?? did you catch him up here in ma?? i ask because the pattern on his scales seems to be a bit different than a typical lgmouth....almost like the horizontal line is missing. thx for the input on night fishing...take care eric

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Believe it or not that fish is only 4 lb 13 oz. Yes I caught her in Bridgewater Ma.

Posted Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Black jitterbug with the hinge... I've been slaying them at night this year. The bug spray can be an issue too, make sure to apply before you go out and wash it off your hands before you tie on lures or anything! It's a known bass-repellent too!

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks guys! Your advise really paid off!
Check out my trip "Jitter Buggin!"
Definitely gonna try it again.

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:20 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links