So this summer is my first season bass fishing, and it started bad... then after some more reading and practice, it got pretty good. I was catching a few bass every time out, usually 1 and 2 pounders.

It seems to have gotten bad again, and I can't figure it out. I fish mostly in metro west (millis, medfield, westwood) and my spots aren't producing for me anymore.

I know the ponds have gotten nastier, so I've had to start using more topwater, which I am still getting used to, but it's still pretty bad. My last ten or so trips out I have caught three bass total, each one under a pound.

To make it worse, other fishermen I see are saying they just caught lunkers right where I am, and I see bass jumping around everywhere.

I feel like I'm about to pull my hair out here. Any advice to bust a slump? Anyone wanna PM me with a nice honey hole? I'm just getting frustrated, and fishing is supposed to be the opposite of that.

Thanks,
Jess

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:20 am

Its most likely because of all the heat. Once it gets hot like this the Bass go deep again. Once we get some cooler weather (Like all next week) they'll come up again.

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:42 am

Hey man stay with it. In the heat either sticking with the topwater (if and object or spot looks fishy try multi casts to the same spot over and over til you piss em off lol) will pay off with a nice one. Or go slow like on the bottom slow with a senko/rubberworm. Both will produce just give it some time and patience.

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:30 pm

Firstly,
Usually, from mid summer until late summer, fish anytime from sunrise until 12:00pm, and then pick it up again from 5:00pm until sunset.

Secondly,
If shore fishing is your only option, always carry (as asecond option) a light rig--meaning--med light rod rigged with either 6-8 pound test mono (or braid with 8 pound leader). Try to use mostly plastics in either 3 or 4 inch category (senkos, berkley chigger craws, shakey worms etc), or smaller type topwaters and plugs (also in the same length). Also, when using this type of rig remember to ALWAYS be vigilant of your drag setting and just play your fish don't horse them.

In the end--if you still can't catch em--there's always "Miller" time in between to keep your spirits up (12:30pm to 4:30PM) Laughing

jlev44

So this summer is my first season bass fishing, and it started bad... then after some more reading and practice, it got pretty good. I was catching a few bass every time out, usually 1 and 2 pounders.

It seems to have gotten bad again, and I can't figure it out. I fish mostly in metro west (millis, medfield, westwood) and my spots aren't producing for me anymore.

I know the ponds have gotten nastier, so I've had to start using more topwater, which I am still getting used to, but it's still pretty bad. My last ten or so trips out I have caught three bass total, each one under a pound.

To make it worse, other fishermen I see are saying they just caught lunkers right where I am, and I see bass jumping around everywhere.

I feel like I'm about to pull my hair out here. Any advice to bust a slump? Anyone wanna PM me with a nice honey hole? I'm just getting frustrated, and fishing is supposed to be the opposite of that.

Thanks,
Jess

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:23 pm

I've had a lot of luck in the dead heat by using top water plugs/poppers and hoppers etc on the fly rod...retrieving very slow. I usually cast, let the ring disappear, then pop once. let the ring disappear, pop it twice...nice and slow with random pops. I've had some big bass come out of the pads and hammer my fly just as the last of the ripple had vanished. I know most of my more recent experience is on the fly but the concept is the same.

Posted Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Hey Blackstonecarp - what type of bass poppers are you having most success with on the fly rod. I mostly throw these type of things : http://www.basspro.com/Betts-Pop-N&153;-Hot-Popper-Fly/product/10205709/-1440306 but 99% of the time end up with Bluegills. I have some bigger poppers as well, but I've never had any luck coaxing up a bass to hit them. I also usually have a nymph dropper as well - which again leads to plenty of Bluegills and the rare Bass.

Posted Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I use a couple of different flies..some poppers and some kinda hybrids. I tie my own deer hair, similar to ones I use for carp funny enough, but I add some tails, legs and of course cut the hair a bit different. I usually tie them on a size 2 or 4 hook. Makes casting easier and while I still get bluegill they tend to be bigger bluegill. I also like tying these because I can control the density. They sit nicely in the film and give a good movement even while sitting still in my opinion.

I also use a pattern called the clodhopper. I simply tie it bigger sizes and I may be adding some foam to it to make it more of a popper then simply a hopper pattern. The Bass go crazy for this one when they are chasing dragon flies on the pads. Sometimes I even change the foam a bit and make it a dragonfly instead of a hopper..I like this pattern because I can fish it naturally or pop it to aggravate the bass into biting.

Thats it for top water really. I have a few big poppers as well that I pull out if I see some crazy top action but usually I don't bother with them. The other two staple flies for me and bass are a hybrid bass/panfish bug and of course the wooley bugger.

When it goes well...

Last edited by blackstonecarp on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:59 am

That's great info - thanks!
I think the big thing is that you are using your own tied flies, as opposed to the pre-packaged one's that I have to use as I don't tie myself - one of these days I swear.
Have you ever tried a big frog pattern with the weed guard?
Also - what does your leader look like throwing these guys - length? tippet?

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:14 am

I fixed the above post to include the hopper photo..mistakenly took it out last time heh.

Yes tying your own is a huge plus. Many patterns are quite simple and can honestly be tied in about 5 minutes tops, once you get into it. I find it fun personally and a good way to waste time while watching a movie or something on days when I can't fish..or as many do I stock em up through the winter when everything is frozen. The real plus to them is the ability to make specific flies. The lake by my house, Lake Wildwood, for instance has a huge population of rust colored dragon flies. You'll notice the above flies tend to be a red/light brown/rust color. I suspect that it is easier to get the bass to take something that they see everyday as opposed to a bright or strange object. This added versatility makes the effort worthwhile imo.

That said. Yes I do buy flies from time to time, especially big poppers as I am not that experienced yet. I have a couple of large frog poppers I use bought from Bass Pro. They are heavy...let me tell you but the effect is very nice. I have yet to catch a bass on one though...the aforementioned lake holds bass to at least 10 pounds so I am told, and I thought I'd get a few just in case.

I fish an 8 weight rod, tie my own leaders starting at 20lb test mono down to a tippet of about 10 pounds for carp/big bass fishing. I usually use a 6-9 foot leader depending. Poppers and larger flies I go shorter to about 6 foot to give me the oomph I need to flip the buggers...the hoppers and lighter bugs I go to about 9 foot tops to give me a more subtle presentation.

The thing with big poppers i've learned as well is..on the back cast you have to wait till you just feel the weight of the fly before you start the front cast. It took me a bit to get the hang of it because I am so used to trying to keep a tight loop in the line. I've seen a good video of these poppers in use before you may enjoy..it is from Catch Magazine, a free online picture/video heavy magazine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlpVVKvrnu0[/youtube]

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 am

Ha - I saw that video last year and watched it again last month - that guy is unreal in his ability to cast. I ended up putting away the spinning and baitcaster rigs after watching that video again. I caught some nice bass this year on senkos and crank baits, but nothing beats a top water bass on the fly rod, though you have to work much harder to get them.

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:27 am

Hey, I noticed that you put Westwood down. Buckmaster? I've been fishing there since I was a little boy. I used to catch a ton over there, but it seems to get more and more swampy and the average size keeps going down. The Crappie population is up though. I think there's a ton of fishing pressure there.

I know of a few spots in Stoughton where topwater frogs and swimbaits have been killing it. I haven't been able to post those trips yet as I am new...

Also, this time of year, try getting a giant hinged, black jitterbug and going out 10PM+. During the daytime, when it's this hot, they definitely hold deep, and bigger ones can be difficult to get from shore. I've had great success at night though. I even caught an overzealous bluegill on a jitterbug was 5x the size of its mouth!

Make sure to use heavy braid so you can get it out far, and not worry about losing your lure if you hit bushes/trees. I like to tie 20-30 lb. 20 in. mono leader to the end too... It seems to help the lure action a little better than tying directly onto braid... Make sure to real slow and steady (an even, slow blubblubblub sound will let you know you are doing it right). There are often missed hits. If you hear a rattle sound, you've been hit and stop for a second and feel for any weight on the end of your line. If it missed, count to 5, start moving again, and sometimes it will hit again!

Good luck, tight lines!

Posted Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:56 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links