I've seen a lot of people mention "walking the dog" when talking about a topwater retrieve. What does it mean and how is it done?

Posted Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:28 pm

It is done with a zara spook type "cigar" bait. You cast out, wait for the ripples to dissapear. Point the rod tip at the bait then you give the rod a series of quick short jerks but always returning the rod to it's starting position right away giving line back to the bait allowing it to dart left and right as it moves forward. As you get really good at it you can make it dance and hardly move forward at all , keeping it in the strike zone longer.

Posted Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:36 pm

It's for topwater baits. The most famous, being the Zara Spook.

It's hard to explain how to do it, but you need a long, medium action rod. If your rod is flimsy, this will not work out for you. Some people think you should have a reel that winds at a specific ratio (I forget what that ratio is), but I've found that anything can work if your coordination is good.

Basically, you cast the lure out, tighten the slack, and retrieve with the tip of the rod pointed down. Now here's where it gets tricky. With each downstroke, you want the lure to go in the opposite direction. Like this:

/
\
/
\
/
\

Don't reel after every stroke... You'll have to practice a little bit to see what works best on your gear. You want a little bit of slack to make the action good. It's definitely something that takes a little practice, and if the fish are biting that day, they will definitely tell you when you're doing it right!

Posted Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:38 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links