Hey Guys,

I'm curious if you can just throw a trolling motor on any old canoe? My little boat's got a crack but I wanna get out this weekend and wasn't sure if I was just going to go in circles if I throw a trolling motor on the side of a canoe. Thanks!

Adam

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:31 pm

I saw a team in one of the tourney's do it. Arrogant anglers.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:47 pm

If your hull is metal a talented welder could probably rig something up.look up your local fab shop and pitch your idea/needs.ya never know.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:01 pm

I have seen this done before, I think you can buy a mount that has 2 C clamps that screw to the side of your rig, off of that is a small piece of wood that you put your trolling motor on. Try BassPro. Here ya go.....

Item Number: 38-614-965-22

In Stock

Description:
CANOE MOTOR MOUNTCANOE MOTOR MOUNT

Size:
FOR MOTORS UP TO 3 HPFOR MOTORS UP TO 3 HP

Regular Price: $69.99

Your Price (each): $69.99

this is right from Bassproshop online

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I fished with a canoe and a 55lb thrust Minn Kota for years. Do you have a twin tip or a transom canoe? If you have a transom just toss it on the back, with a twin tip get a mount for it and off you go.

Posted Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:42 pm

If you plan on putting a trolling motor on a canoe and a gamewarden sees you. It may lead to some trouble. As soon as you place any type of motor be it electric or gas on anything. It immediatly needs to be registered. This is what I have been told from various boat dealers, tackle shops, and on MA website about boating laws 'n such.

Just something to think about before plopping a motor on one.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm

I believe that to be true as well, I got stopped a few years back with a old dingy I had a troller on I use to use on small ponds and was told it needed to be registered

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 pm

sinista

I believe that to be true as well, I got stopped a few years back with a old dingy I had a troller on I use to use on small ponds and was told it needed to be registered

The fine for not having it registered is $200, or 10 years' worth of registration fees. Too bad it's such a pain in the ass to get a boat registered here.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:37 pm

http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/boat-registration.php

Looks like you would have to register it, same for RI.

What to Register
All motorized boats used on the state's public waterways, including vessels that don't primarily depend on mechanical propulsion.

Posted Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 pm

I have used a trolling motor many times with a canoe. It takes some getting used to but is totally doable. Of course a square back ,like I have now, is no problem at all. And yes any motor electric or gas on any vessel requires registration.

Posted Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links