what size Jon boat are most of you guys running? Been alot listed for cheap lately. thinking 12' or 14' is what I want. also what size trolling motor?

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:10 pm

I have a 14. It is big and sticks out quite far from the back of my F-150 but I love the stability it's width provides and the room it allows. A lot of guys use the 12'. If you go to the bass pro shop website and then browse the boat section you will see they sell a 10' a 12' a 14' and a 15' rivited jon boat. from the 10 and 12' to the 14 and again to the 15 they jump in width and weight. The 15 is also a thicker guage aluminum and that boat is much heavier. I really don't know how they can call it a car topper.
The Colman crawdad ( old one) is 12' 10".

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:13 pm

dicks sporting goods has some nice cheap boats.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:25 pm

I have an 1986 crawdad. It has two bass seats. A 1978 3.5 horse game fisher on the stern. An electric trollong motor on the front and it is also a 1978 game fisher. Yea, retro, I know. I have a fishfinder on it. I use two window weights for an anchor. It works well for me. I have a suburban so, I tow it on a snowmobile trailer. When I go with someone in the bow seat, they may get a little wet if there is a chop on the water. If i'm by myself it scoots along nicely. It really is a nice little boat.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm thinking aluminum, I have a 10hp and an 8 hp to choose from for motors and plan on building a casting platform. mostly unsure about trolling motor stuff, how much thrust? foot control or not? stuff like that. saw a few of the livewell pics someone put up recently and don't think that would be too tough to rig up. are you guys drawing fresh water constantly or filling then just aerating? guess I should have been more speciffic in my original post.
also if anyone has outboard motor questions or problems feel free to ask for advice. I rebuild powerheads for a living. pretty good with everything except some of the very new stuff.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:46 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!???? I have a powerhead that needs rebuilding. 1997 evinrude intruder 150hp

As far as TM goes its personal preference. I have always used a foot control so I am comfortable with that. I like constant 'feel" with the motor and being able to steer and fish at the same time. I know others that love 2 feet firmly on the ground who "fish differently. They position the boat, then cast. It's all good. Whatever you are comfortable with. As far as thrust 55lbs is as high as you can go with 12v ( one battery) 80lbs thrust is as high as you can go with 24v( 2 batteries). I have an 80lb Minn Kota maxxium 24 v system. You can always go slower but you are limited to top end by your motors capacity. Buy as BIG as you can and just dial down as needed. The difference between 12 and 24v is not only top end speed but how long you can fish on a batter charge before the power level drops. 24v is much longer.All day and then some. I could probably fish 2 days on a single charge but I don't. I always recharge after a days fishing.
My livewell is an 80qt Marine cooler with the pump built in. I have pics on my profile. I like it because it is very servicable, can keep fish alive and well no problem and it is REMOVABLE so when I am not in a tourney, i don't have to have it with me.

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:44 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links