One of my favorite lures is a single colorado white/chart spinner. It's a great reaction lure and fun to throw. The problem I have with it is that about half the time the snap swivel moves out of the notch on the lure and during the retrieve, it doesn't behave correctly. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? I tried using needlenose pliers to tighten the notch, but then the spoon kept banging into the skirt.

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:40 am

Tie line directly to lure with a palomar knot

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Isn't that just asking for trouble with a spinner? Or are you assuming there's a barrel swivel further up the line?

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:12 pm

No meats got it bro, tie directly to bait. no troubles

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Yea no troubles, if your spinnerbait is running correctly it should run straight up so no line twists to worry about, and the palomar knot snugs up tight to the wire so it has a much better chance of staying in place.

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Great info, thanks. Now I'm rethinking how I tie my inline spinners. Should those be on swivels or direct tie?

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:32 pm

I go direct with everything, better feel that way.

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:37 pm

With fluke/sluggos type baits I will use a barrel swivel 12"-18" up the line.

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Palomar is a good choice, but its kind of annoying to tie. I use a trilene knot on anything that isn't braid. No problems with line twist.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:52 pm

i agree with the direct tie palomar. very quick and easy, and very strong. i never use swivels, barrels, snaps or anything like that unless it's a jerkbait or maybe a crankbait (snaps). i throw flukes or other lures like that on a baitcaster so there is no real line twist.

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:03 pm

I use direct tie with the improved clinch knot and rarely ever have a problem. If I do, its usually due to user error, lol.

Posted Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:21 pm

I totally agree that tieing directly to the line is best for most situations, however when fishing for bass AND pike sometime a steel leader (which connects to the lure using a snap swivel) is a MUST.

I have an awesome technique to keep the snap swivel in the right spot using the plastic tubing that protects the hook on the store shelf (not all spinnerbaits come with this but some do and you only need one piece of tubing to make about 10 protecting pieces). Using a pair of wire cutters or pliers that have cutter on them you snip a tiny portion of the tubing and put it around the spinnerbait tieing area before attaching swip swivel. Its hard for to put this in words so later tonight I will post pictures showing exactly what I am talking about. Not only does it work terrificly but it doesn't cost anything either!

Posted Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Alright I made a video on my phone today showing my solution for you question.

Assuming it posts to youtube ok I will post the the link back in this thread or embed it if I can as soon as possible.

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:15 pm

Let me know what you guys think! I might make some more of some other tactics like this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFSXiqxCILU[/youtube]

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:26 pm

pretty good for using one hand

Posted Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:32 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links