Anyone else encounter this? I can see a ton of bass from the shore just sitting there, i literally hit them with my bait, and they don't even flinch...they just sit there as if they are laughing at me. I did this with several different senkos, minnows and craws...nothing. they just sit there. weird huh?

Posted Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:49 am

I've seen that at Walden pond in Concord. I guess they're not eating cuz they can see you

Posted Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:22 pm

happened to me this morning. I chucked everything I could at them and didn't get a bite. Could see some pretty nicw bass just sitting there taunting me! I'm thinking of trying again later tonight. I'll post if any luck.

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:25 pm

yea i have seen the same thing at 2 different ponds, but it was early season and they were spawning still. usually i think thats the case... they would get spooked usually but they don't want to leave their ground yanno? they strictly dont feed while the sun is high in the sky, and all your really doing when you cast into them is ruining the rig for the week with those certain bass. I fish a pond 5 minutes from my house almost everyday and I noticed the day they started falling back from the shores.. The bass you see will be feeding like crazy within these next few weeks so i guarentee if you go there sunrise or sunset with a topwater, you will catch a bunch of fish.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 am

It may be that they've recently eaten as well. Especially when the sunfish are spawning I've watched bass go crazy feeding off the nesting bluegill and afterward just kinda slog off hanging around lazily super full and too lazy to move or care about anything else. I have all but walked up to a stuffed bass, to where I could almost grab it by hand before it even made an attempt to slowly swim off.

I dunno how much I agree with the thought that bass don't feed with the sun high in the sky...most of my best fly fishing is terrestrials ( grasshoppers and dragon flies) all through the hot mid days through the summers. Bass are a warm water fish and will feed heaviest when the water is warm, striking hard from weed beds all through the day and night. I've actually caught a bass before while false casting a dragon fly pattern..the fly came a few inches above the water and the bass jumped out and grabbed it. They may not seem like they feed during the high sun because they can see things much better above water and are more easily spooked..but approach em with caution and they will bite.

Posted Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 pm

MA Fish Finder

Social Links